Five Reasons College Is Exactly Like Webkinz

Stop reminiscing about your childhood! Your life hasn't actually changed as much as you may think.

407

As finals week is fast approaching, my procrastination has reached previously uncharted levels. After about three hours of constantly refreshing Twitter, beating a few dozens levels of Candy Crush, and Facebook stalking some friends from elementary school, I decided to attempt to relive my childhood by reinventing myself in the world of Webkinz (which is free now, by the way). I must've reached a point of absolute delirium, because I found every single aspect of Webkinz to somehow parallel my college experience. While I'm still unsure if this comparison is accurate, because my brain has transcended into a pile of mush, or if this is actually a genius discovery, I would like to take this opportunity to share my findings with all of you.

The Insane Price

Just like college, at their peak Webkinz were nauseatingly expensive. At least where I grew up, the number of Webkinz your parents bought you directly correlated to how popular you were. Costing on average $13.99 each, if you were one of those kids who bragged about having the most Webkinz out of everyone in your whole class, I highly suggest calling your parents and profusely apologizing, because they basically paid a second college tuition.

The Risks

Until I got to college, my heart never raced as hard as it did when I was playing the Wheel of Wow on Webkinz. The thought that I could win a jackpot of a 10,000 Kinzcash, or merely a rotten apple, drove me insane. Similarly, college is all about taking risks. Just like it's always worth it to give the Wheel of Wow a shot, it's equally as worth it to try out that new club on campus, or to apply for a leadership position. You may end up having the time of your life, or it may be a bust, but you'll never know unless you take the initial risk.

The Food Selection

What seemed like unlimited options of food on Webkinz in the W Shop reminds me exactly of the options available in college dining halls. Walking into the dining hall, you think that the options are endless, and they are -- if you put the effort into it. Just as you can make some sick recipes on Webkinz, if you take the few extra minutes necessary, you can do the same in the dining halls. It just takes some creativity!

The Free Stuff

Nothing compares to the joy of logging onto Webkinz and finding a piece of cake in your inventory that you received in celebration of an obscure holiday like “Wacky Zingo Celebration Day" -- except, of course, the explicit happiness of unexpectedly receiving a free t-shirt in college.

“Hope you find what you're lookin' for."

Every time you enter the Curio Shop on Webkinz, Arte, the friendly owner, greets you with the oh-so-familiar words “Welcome to the Curio Shop, hope you find what you're lookin' for.". If you were as dedicated as I was, you logged on every day to hunt for rare gems. Some days I got lucky and some I didn't, and the same is true in college. We've all have our good days and bad days in college, but all in all, college is the time to pursue your interests, make lifelong friends, study what you're passionate about, and truly find what you're looking for.