Five (practical) New Year's Resolutions

Five (practical) New Year's Resolutions

337
Five (practical) New Year's Resolutions
Kate Stone

Every year as the end of December approaches and we reminisce on every cookie, piece of pie, and chocolate covered whatever we ate over the holidays, one sentence can be heard around the world, “Next year I’m getting in shape.” Unfortunately, that’s usually followed by an influx of people at the gym on January and some unused memberships for the rest of the year. The reason being we continue to set extremely generalized goals that amount to a less that successful change. Instead of trying to just be a “better person” or “happier,” let’s set resolutions that are more practical and attainable this year.

Getting in Shape

We would all love to look like a personal trainer overnight, but that just isn’t happening no matter how hard we wish it into existence. There are many more realistic goals you can set to help you lose those extra pounds, gain muscle, or just feel better physically. One of the best is eating healthier, because all that time in the gym means nothing if your binge eating McDonald’s all week (even though those fries are heavenly).

Possible practical resolutions include:

“This year I will limit myself to one fast food meal a month”

“This year I will go to the gym three times a week”

“This year I will swap water for soda”

The list can go on and on, but what is important is that you look at your diet and exercise now and see what could use the most focus. After you pin point something more specific you can create a more measurable resolution.

Being a Better Person

Maybe you think you’re a little too sarcastic for your own good or just not as generous as you would like to be, either way if this is the resolution you plan on making it means you see some fault in yourself. Understanding exactly what part of your personality you want to change can make “being a better person” change to “being the best version of yourself.” Everyone has a different trait to work on but they can all be transformed into attainable goals.

Possible practical resolutions include:

“This year I will volunteer twice a month”

“This year I will call my grandparents once a week”

“This year I will let go off my past grudges and start new relationships with a blank slate”

Being Happier

No one wants to be sad, but if this year has had more lows than highs, you are probably itching for a fresh start. Unfortunately, we will never be able to predict and prevent the future, but there are ways to try to create your own happiness in 2018.

Possible practical resolutions include:

“This year I’ll take at least one hour a day to do something I enjoy.”

“This year I’ll put aside 30 dollars (I’m a broke college kid, so this can change if you’re actually making money) to treat myself.”

“This year I’ll try yoga once.” (insert any activity you’ve been meaning to try, but just haven’t made the time)

Traveling More

Personally, I relate to this blind desire to explore the world even with only a few dollars to my name. If you are blessed enough to have the means to travel the world, but push it off every year, this time make it a realistic resolution. Take that week off from work and just do it. If you don’t have the extra cash, there are many ways to travel on a budget from staying in hostels, Airbnbs, or simply finding places to camp along the way.

Possible practical resolutions include:

“This year I’ll put 20 dollars a week aside to take a trip.”

“This year I’ll visit at least one state I’ve never been to.”

Spend Less and Save More

As the shopaholic that I am, I feel like I am constantly telling myself that I am going to start saving money. Without actually putting goals in place though, time and time again I end up back at the mall. It is easy to talk about saving and harder to stop spending.

Possible practical resolutions include:

“This year I will limit myself to eating out twice a week.”

“This year I will put 20% of every paycheck in my savings account.”

“This year I will make coffee at home rather than going to Starbucks every morning.”

The point of resolutions is to make actual changes to our day to day lives. Whether you are dying to take a cross country trip, lose ten pounds, or just relax a little bit, we all are looking to make our 2018 a little bit better than this crazy year has been. With that in mind, let’s be practical and stop talking about what we want and start making it happen.