Five Lessons I Learned From My Internship

Sometimes, time is worth way more than money

3
Children's Hospital of Orange County

I took an internship for the first time this summer. I've been used to working all throughout my college experience, but this is the first time I volunteered my time for nothing in return. Or so I thought. My summer internship has taught me a lot about myself and the world around me, and these are the lessons I will take with me for years to come.

1. Do something with your life that you love.

Every day, I leave the studio feeling so emotionally fulfilled and excited about life. I've never felt that way leaving the job I have to work to support myself. Making money is important; it's necessary to survive. However, if you're unhappy in your job, no amount of money is going to solve that or salvage your well-being. Find a job that you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

2. Do something every day to help another person.

I intern in the child life department of a children's hospital. Every day, I interact with very sick children or children who have just undergone major surgery or live daily with problems that children should never have to experience. Every time I can put a smile on a child's face by green-screening them into Bikini Bottom or teaching them how to operate the cameras in our studio, I know that I've helped bring them a little more joy in their otherwise monotonous days in the hospital.

3. Listen to your favorite song every day.

Every day I step into our studio, I put the same Celine Dion and Whitney Houston songs on my radio show playlists, and every time they play, I belt them out and dance around the studio. My fellow interns now know a lot of the words and expect the songs every time I go on air. If the song brings you joy, listen to it. Let the words lift you up. Dance around like no one's watching.

4. Don't be afraid to try something completely new.

In my interview for this internship, the first question was whether or not I had any experience in radio or television broadcasting and the answer was absolutely not. I honestly didn't even think I would be offered a spot, and once I did, I was terrified that I would be a complete failure at my job. But my boss was patient and a great teacher and I've learned things about the industry and equipment we use that I never imagined I'd be able to operate. Push yourself a little bit more and don't be afraid to try something completely foreign to you. You might just find something that you really love.

5. Enjoy every moment.

As I said, I work with a lot of sick children. I can see the stress and the fear written on a lot of parents' faces. I also see a little bit of relief on those faces every time their child gets to hear their favorite song or see themselves being broadcast out to the entire hospital. Nothing in life is promised. Enjoy the little things. Bask in those moments of pure joy. Take care of your health, spend a little extra time with your friends and family, and do things that make you happy. You never know when that can all be gone.