Five Feelings You'll Have When You Finally Let Someone Go

You have overcome the crossroads of letting them go and you have finally let yourself free.

2030
huffpost

Letting someone go can either be a conscious or unconscious action. You may have already “decided” you wanted to let someone go by saying it out loud because you needed it to become official, that you were moving on. This person could be anyone, whether it’s a past friend, partner or anyone who was somehow acquainted into your life, but you realized their participation in your life was more toxic than anything else. Maybe you grew separate ways and you hadn’t realized how they affected your life until now.

Here’s what you’ll feel when, after all of the thoughts, memories and doubts stop and you finally let go of that person:

Realization

The moment you truly understand the negative impact this person had is the moment you fully realize why letting them go is the best option, for the both of you. People may have told you before, your friends may have warned you or encouraged you to “got rid of them.” No matter what anyone said, or for that matter what you may have questioned, you were in an oblivious state that let you overlook all the red flags. Now looking back you may think to yourself how foolish you were or why you even let it go on for so long. This realization can sometimes be heartbreaking but it's most likely needed, for the better.

Relief

The cloud that used to follow you around, which was filled with the 24/7 wonders about what they were doing with their life, whether or not they thought about you, etc., is no longer there. You have all of a sudden found a silence that you never had before. The weight that was on your shoulders because of the constant negativity this person brought into your life is gone and you are now able to breathe.

Gratitude

No matter what this person’s association with your life was, your relationship took over some part of your life. Whether this time period was long or short, most likely the memories you have with them will still be looked on at some point. You have now learned from your experiences, which comes along with the sense of gratefulness you may have for the impact they once had on your life.

Self-Awareness

Having these past relationships means that they became apart of your past for a reason. This reason is now apart of your personal guidebook to building healthy and strong relationships for your future or maintaining the ones you currently have. You are now aware of your personal strengths, weaknesses and needs in a relationship. This awareness not only allows you to look for certain characteristics in people or to turn the other way when you see a red flag you didn’t see before, but it also allows you to know when not to let something slide by when it’s an obvious toxic component in that person.

You don’t feel anymore

When this person from your past gets brought up, you won’t even blink an eye. You’ll no longer have an instant reaction that can either be positive or negative. Their name will register in your mind but the feelings you used to associate with them will no longer be there. You don’t have to get nervous or frantic when you see them in public, their existence is no longer the source of anxiety in your social life.