Not Partying In College

No Matter What Anyone Says, It's OK To Not Party In College

As a transfer student to a university of 66,000 students, I feared that stereotypes could compromise my integrity.

178

The college stereotypes are everywhere. Not only do these stereotypes embellish the plots of movies and TV shows, but stereotypes also lurk their way into our conversations with friends or family members.

A lot of people I know can talk nonchalantly about countless nights that they vaguely recollect. And, even worse, is when they casually, and somehow proudly, chat about the times they've experienced a blackout or passed out losing consciousness. Frankly, these conversations are confusing and unsettling for me. I never understood where drunken pride stems from because I'd be pretty terrified after losing my consciousness.

So, initially transferring to one of the largest universities in the nation, you probably understand why I felt intimated. I thought I'd have to conform to the lifestyle of crazy partying and lots of alcohol to fit in. Luckily, I quickly realized that when you surround yourself with friends who share your same values, you'll never feel out of place.

As much as we want to tune out our relatives or friends who urge us to drink and party more in college because 'these are the best years of your life', they are right about one thing. Your college years should be some of the most memorable years of your life. However, how you choose to spend these years is entirely up to you.

The reality is that college opens up the doors to a variety of activities, clubs, and experiences. So step out of your comfort zone and be open to new experiences because you don't know what you do enjoy until you give it a try.

If you're struggling to find a group of friends that you can relate to, UCF has 706 registered organizations! Ranging from 3D Printing, and Harry Potter Fan clubs, to Fencing, and Flute club, I'm sure you can find a club that harmonizes with your interests and values.

Find yourself. But don't change yourself or compromise your integrity to conform to others' expectations.