My Fitness Journey Is My Own And Nobody Else's

Quit judging what you don't know.

53

From as long as I can remember, I have tried dieting from as young as seven years old. Yes, seven years old. While that may have not been the best option for a young girl like me at the time, it has definitely shaped me into who I am today.

I grew up having certain close family members whose focus was on food and fitness. To be skinny was to be worthy, and sadly, many people hold that to be true nowadays.

I will keep saying this: what matters is that you are healthy. You can't judge people solely for how they look because you never know what happens behind closed doors.

Anyways, recently I have been attempting to slowly but surely change my food choices and my activity levels. And let me tell you, from the times I have tried getting onto a fitness journey, this time is the hardest one.

If you come from a Hispanic/Latinx family, you know that certain people LOVE to point out one's appearance. And most of the time, they will tell you that you look bigger.

My fitness journey is composed of going to the gym five times a week and resting for two days. I have cut out soda, rice, desserts but I love to enjoy these things on my one cheat day!

This is where the problem arises. I like to tell people I am on my fitness journey simply so that they know better than to offer me food that is not so healthy because knowing my will power, I will most likely cave. However, suffering from bipolar disorder, it is difficult to stay on track sometimes. I have literally broken down and cried over not having the food that I want. I have binged on food that wasn't the best option at the time. But somehow, people seem to not understand that this fitness journey is mine and nobody else's.

If there is a day where I don't feel like sticking to my healthy options, I will gladly eat that cookie or that piece of cake. If I don't feel like going to the gym one day, then I won't go. It's always good to do better as next time rolls around, but quit the judgment, we are aware of what we are doing. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle while suffering from a mental illness is a challenge in itself.

Whenever you see someone who is on their fitness journey, it's always good to encourage them, but don't judge them when they don't make the best choices.