Gym Closed? Don't Sweat It.

Gym Closed? Don't Sweat It.

Simple ways to stay fit during quarantine without access to a gym.

31
Gym Closed? Don't Sweat It.
Kayla Itsines

As a result of COVID-19 and social distancing practices, people have had to rearrange their schedules abruptly. This schedule mishap has caused problematic conditions for maintaining a consistent and sufficient workout routine. However, there are easy and effective ways to still stay in shape during social isolation or get in shape if you are not already!

Be Mindful of Food Intake

It is incredibly tempting to snack more than usual when you are stuck at home and have constant access to the kitchen. This can lead to overeating and an excess consumption of calories. In order to curb this tricky habit start tracking food intake via journaling or apps. Some of the top-rated apps for tracking meals and snacks are as follows: MyFitnessPal, Lose It!, SparkPeople, and Noom.

Get a Quarantine Accountability Buddy

Use personal connections as extra motivation. If you are staying with family or friends get them involved by doing daily walks. Another option is to communicate with friends virtually and create challenges you can both adhere to. Weekly or daily check-ins on progress such as getting in 10k steps daily, eating 5 servings of vegetables, or hitting a new endurance goal are great options! Do what works for you to stay motivated and feel supported on your personal journey.

Endorphins are Important—Get in 30 mins of Cardio Everyday

Cardiovascular exercise is crucial during this confusing and hectic time. Not only does it benefit your circulatory system and internal organs, it also increases production of endorphins in the body. Endorphins are the "feel good" chemicals that will boost your mood, increased your productivity, and encourage positivity. Cardio options include walking, running, biking, HIIT workouts, or stairs. Thirty minutes is a relatively small portion of the day; make sure to plan ahead for this time so that you can reap the benefits too!

Don't Neglect Resistance Training

Resistance training should be an integral part of your workout routine. Resistance training can improve mental health, boost metabolic rate, decrease blood pressure, encourage feelings of well-being, and increase muscle mass. Although most people have limited access to equipment, an effective resistance training routine can be completed through bodyweight exercises and creatively using objects around the home.

Take Advantage of Online Resources

Just in case you are lost in regard to how to start workout routines from home, there is a surplus of information online. Several companies have extended free trials of their workout routine content. Some worthwhile resources that will give you instruction and guidelines for workouts are YouTube, Planet Fitness, Daily Burn, Amazon Prime (video section), Nike Training Club, and Peloton. Additionally, many fitness influencers on Instagram and YouTube are sharing their daily workouts, as well as healthy meal ideas.

Find Fitspo

As mentioned previously, fitness influencers on Instagram and YouTube are sharing resources, ideas, and inspiration with their followers. Take the time to follow fitness influencers that align with personal goals, positive mindset, and do not trigger negative body image. The purpose of connecting with influencers via social media is to provide workout guidance, increase motivation, and feel empowered. If the influencers you are following do not provide these important things or makes you feel inadequate—unfollow! Here's some great fitness influencers to check out: Michelle Lewin, Joe Wicks, Kayla Instines, Lauren Drain, Nastassia Ponomarenko, Meggan Grubb, Savannah Wright, Whitney Simmons, and Don Saladino.

And Most of All: Stretch, Rest, and Be Kind to Yourself

You will progress so much farther in your fitness journey during quarantine if you exercise and eat healthfully as a way to promote self-love. Positive actions result from positive thinking and being kind to oneself. Take the time to listen to your body: stretch when you need it, rest when you are tired, and be patient with yourself. Your fitness journey will be more enjoyable and successful if you treat yourself with the compassion you deserve!