My First Vans Warped Tour Experience

My First Vans Warped Tour Experience

Through my own personal experience, I will share everything you need to know about going to Warped Tour.

428
My First Vans Warped Tour Experience
forbes.com

Van's Warped Tour has been around since 1995 and continues to grow each year. My best friend and I bought tickets for this year’s Syracuse tour date and it was an experience like no other. Tickets went on sale in mid-March, which is also when they released the list of bands playing this year. As soon as I clicked the purchase button, I was pumped for what was in store. Meeting the bands I had looked up to for years, listening to them live, walking around the venue with my friends... I had a good feeling about it and could not wait for July 7th to come around. Warped Tour was one of the last big things my friends and I had planned before our departure to college.

Preparing for Warped Tour way in advance is necessary because it can get pretty expensive if you do not plan accordingly. In fact, we were planning from day one. After searching Google for any secrets about the concert we could find, we discovered that a donation of $5, an old cell phone, or three canned goods would land us a coveted spot in the early entrance line. We also learned that the early entry wristband would allow us to skip the line at band signings. This proved to be very helpful when we met Motionless In White and Sleeping With Sirens. I must admit, I accidentally released my inner fangirl when Chris Motionless and Kellin Quinn spoke to me. I swear my friend will never let me forget the part where I kept repeating myself in their presence. We also met the bassist of We The Kings who put on a terrific performance in the morning. The whole thing was surreal and I wanted it to last forever.

We also scoured the web to find the essential things to bring when attending Warped Tour. At the top of the list was a sealed bottle of water. Staying hydrated is important due to the sweltering summer heat. Water bottles are easy to refill at the water stations located throughout the venue and prices for water bottles on site are through the roof because of the high demand. It is also a good idea to pack Sharpies for band signings, a camera if bands allow fans to take pictures and a phone charger. Vans often sets up a free charging station in one of their tents so that people can recharge their devices if needed. Also, it is important to remember your actual Vans Warped Tour ticket so you do not have to buy a new ticket at the gate. If your parents do not want you to go alone, they get a free ticket for themselves with the purchase of their kids’ ticket. And no, they do not have to stay with you the whole time. There is a tent marked as Reverse Daycare where parents can hang out during the concerts.

Buying band merch is expensive. T-shirts and hoodies often range from $20- $30 on average. Things add up quickly when you’re having fun! I do not suggest taking debit or credit cards with you to the venue because they could be lost easily. If it is absolutely impossible to leave them at home, they do have ATMs on site so people can withdraw money. Personally, I had to do this because I fell victim to the band merch tents. Plus, I still needed to get some food in me because braving the whole day on an empty stomach is a terrible mistake.

Surprisingly, we had no trouble leaving. After our last concert, we followed the stream of people out the gates and back to the parking lot. I was sore for days but the pain felt so good once I reflected on how much fun I had. I definitely want to go back next year and hope to see some of you there as well!