What You Need To Know Before Attending Your First NY Comic Con

Everything You Need To Know Before You Attend Your First NY Comic Con

On top of walking around New York for panels and food, hundreds of exhibits, and even hundreds more of people bumping into you, it may be a good idea to dress comfortably.

92
2018 New York Comic-Con
Dana Marie

The first weekend of October brought with it the weekend of New York Comic Con and much excitement for any nerd who managed to get tickets. And although people have been going for years, NYCC 2018 was my first Comic-Con. Around me, I saw amazing cosplayers, hundreds of exhibitors that drew me in, panels that allowed me to be in the same room as some of my favorite actors like Andrew Lincoln, and astounding artists. My first comic con experience taught me a lot in one go, and here's what I learned:

1. It's crowded

Very, very crowded. There are people everywhere, you'll be bumping into people left and right, and you'll be waiting on some decently long lines for things that are worth waiting for. If you plan to do some shopping, consider buying con tickets for Thursday, the least crowded days, so you're not getting pushed around while trying to look around.

2. There are some amazing cosplayers

There are some funny cosplays like dressing up as the actual convention building, amazing cosplay like a decently-sized Bumblebee Transformer, to characters from any anime you can think of, and of course, Marvel and DC characters running around alike. There's nothing that you couldn't find at this con, from the simplest onesie to costumes that you can just tell took at least a year to create.

3. There are a bunch of booths

There are A LOT of booths at this con, more than I've ever seen before. There are hundreds of exhibitors, artists, and booths to do the coolest things like trying the newest games or even get some free posters or buttons. Exhibitors can be anywhere from Marvel comics, to Anime studios, to regular book publishers, toy stores, and more. If you're looking for something, this has to be the place to find it.

4. Don't buy con food

It's obvious to know not to buy food from a convention center or concert or anything similar, but sometimes you're so hungry that you look for the first thing you see. DON'T. Wait to go outside and get food, it's better to go out and wait on a line to get back in to save a couple bucks than spend $20 on three chicken tenders.

5. Look for exclusive or free stuff

Comic-Con, even the one in New York, is always known for some great exclusive stuff. Funko pop figures, t-shirts, pins, any kind of collectibles, free posters, free book previews, and much more. Panels always offer something exclusive, whether its next season's trailer or maybe the first few minutes (or even the whole thing) of the newest episode of the next season!

6. Dress comfortably

On top of walking around New York for panels and food, hundreds of exhibits, and even hundreds more of people bumping into you, it may be a good idea to dress comfortably, especially when it comes to shoes since you'll be on your feet all day. Although there are plenty of cosplayers who go to the extreme, you may want to make this experience the time where you go easy.

7. Take as many pictures as you can

On top of the amazing cosplayers and multiple selfie opportunities, there are also a bunch of booths to insert yourself into an "Overwatch" video, take a picture with a huge fork (Something about "The Good Place"), and jump into virtual and sensory setups that insert you into the Harry Potter world for one glorious minute. Don't forget to take plenty of pictures of your awesome time!

8. There are some major celebs!

If you get into a panel you love, chances are some actors will be on stage waiting for you. From the voice actors of Dreamworks show, actors from "The Walking Dead" or "Outlander." You can also see actors like David Tennant, Andrew Lincoln, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, and Bill Nye (The science guy). You may not have the money to afford autographs, but at least you'll get to be in the same room as them and gain bragging rights!