To The First-Time Moms, I Believe In You

Plans may change when the baby comes, but moms are built for this change.

314
Janice Bacani

Becoming a first-time mother is the most challenging and natural thing I have experienced. From the moment I knew that I was expecting my first child, the excitement filled my head with anxiety and uncertainty. My entire behavior drastically changed even before my child was born. I started to protect myself and my unborn child by improving the way I ate and decreasing strenuous activities. I also started holding my belly when I bent down even though my baby was only four weeks old.

I believe becoming a first-time mother transformed my physical and emotional capabilities. I think that becoming a first-time mother is a gift and the experience is life-changing.

I became a first-time mother at 29 years old. I believe that I was at the perfect age for a considerable responsibility. When my daughter was born, I have never felt so happy, scared and unprepared at the same time.

The 29-year-old responsible self-felt like the irresponsible 16-year-old. The very first time at the hospital was filled with overwhelming situations. From a cesarean emergency delivery to the inability to take care of my baby due to my slow recovery became disruptive. I was so upset that nothing turned the way I planned. I then turned to my dear husband with grief, and he made me realize that I had a healthy baby girl that needed my love.

I believe that my plans blinded me from enjoying the first sight of my daughter.

I think that first-time mothers need constant affirmations.

I believe in encouraging words and reminders because it heals the anxiety of motherhood.

I believe that first-time mothers need the support of family. It does not have to be immediate family but friends that became family. I had my cousin and sister in law that lives near me. They helped in cooking our food and washing the dishes. I was even lucky enough to take a shower almost every day because I had friends that came by to watch my daughter. I believe that family support is vital for both the mother and the child.

I believe that first-time mothers need the help of experienced mothers. I think that their skill should empower new moms rather than imposing their ways. I had trouble breastfeeding, and I thought that I would get expert advice from my mother. I told her that my doctor advised me to put my daughter on formula because my baby’s weight is decreasing.

She ended up scolding me and accusing me of being a bad mom because I was depriving my child of essential nutrients.

I never felt so disappointed in my life because I have always thought highly of my mother. I went to a lactation nurse who was also an experienced mother.

Her advice was that every woman has different situations when it comes to breastfeeding. Breastfeeding is always a challenge, and not everyone can breastfeed.

I believe in empowering new moms with kindness and empathy which creates continuous support.

I believe that in today's society, first-time mothers are always subject to criticism. I think that to lessen the apprehension of first-time mothers people should be mindful of their actions and words. I believe that a successful first-time mother comes from positive and helpful remarks. I think it is also the most rewarding feeling that I faced in my life.