6 of the Most Important Lessons I Learned My First Semester

6 Of The Most Important Lessons I Learned My First Semester Of College

Sometimes, experiencing unfamiliarity can be the best thing for you.

214
https://ufphotography.photoshelter.com/galleries/G0000vcoIMRVWq6I/I0000e_zJYIPwbAc/2018-07-13-Stadium-4866-jpg

There is hardly ever any shortage of uncertainty when it comes to starting something new- whether it be a new workout routine, a new job or even something as trivial as a new TV show. For many eager high school seniors, the future is mostly uncertain as a whole once they walk the stage and turn their tassel, my former self included.

This past fall semester, I started school at the University of Florida, where I had, throughout high school, hoped to spend the next few years of my life post-graduation. The semester was filled with trying experiences, heartbreaking realizations, mistakes, and loads of self-growth and progression. To reflect, I've compiled a list of a few of the things I've learned over the course of the last four months.

1. Not Everyone is Meant to be Your Best Friend

My roommate and I on game day.

Sophie Hanneken

You may meet a friend on the floor of your hall or in one of your classes that, in a perfect world, you'd imagine to be the Best of All Best Friends. Let me let you in on a not-so-secret secret: most of the people you meet within the first few days or weeks won't be the people you spend most of your time with. In time, you may find yourself realizing the differences in your character when compared with others. Coming from personal experience, I found that a lot of the people I had spent lots of time with just weren't people who fit my lifestyle-- and that's okay! They're still wonderful people, they just aren't my people.

2. Don't Attach Yourself to Only One Person

My friend Brian and I at the stadium, cheering on the Gators! He's one of those friends I'm lucky to have!

Sophie Hanneken

Going hand-in-hand with the first point, you shouldn't let one person occupy all of your time. Doing so can keep you from fostering relationships with other people! For me, I formed a group of three friends within the first week of school, and this kept me from developing other friendships. Near the end of the semester, I started getting to know the girls on my floor, and now, I have made twice as many friends-- friends who I know will have my back; you can't put a price on that kind of friendship!

3. Never Wait Until the Last Minute to do an Assignment

To keep deadlines and important dates organized, I always carry a planner with me! Here's the planner I'll be using throughout 2019.

Sophie Hanneken

This one should be a given, but unfortunately, I've learned it the hard way. Assignments have deadlines and are almost always assigned with plenty of time for completion for a reason. No professor wants their students to wait until the last minute to complete anything, and for good reason! Take advantage of the time offered to complete various assignments. You will thank yourself when your friends invite you to go out on the night your ten-page paper is due, and you've already submitted it because you were ahead with your work.

4. College is Hard Enough; Don't be too Hard on Yourself

One of my favorite weekend activities during my first fall semester at UF was going to the football games to cheer on our Gators!

Sophie Hanneken

Everyone tells you that college is a completely different ball game than high school-- this is not an exaggeration whatsoever! Coming from being a straight-A student in high school, I expected I would fly through college with the same amount of effort and receive the same grades. Boy, was I wrong! College courses are so different from high school courses. You have to study every day, take incredibly careful notes, attend every class meeting, and sometimes even visit your professors' office hours for extra help if you need it. It takes a lot of work, which can sometimes lead to one's mental health taking a backseat.

While, yes, you need to put the effort into the school work, you also need to take the time to appreciate yourself. It isn't easy moving away from home-- starting over in a new environment, surrounded constantly by unfamiliar faces. Cut yourself a break! Binge a few episodes of your favorite TV show (for me, it's Gilmore Girls) or have a self-care night, filled with a face mask, chocolate ice cream, and your favorite playlist or album. Take a walk around your beautiful campus, read your favorite book, or maybe even visit the gym!

5. Say 'Yes' to Every Experience (As Long As It Isn't Harmful)

I'm not the most athletic, but I said yes to participating in the Big Pink Volleyball Tournament for breast cancer awareness with this fantastic group of girls from my residence hall!

Sophie Hanneken

My older cousin once gave me this advice before I started school. If someone asks you to lunch, a movie, or a student organization meeting, go! You have absolutely nothing to lose by getting involved, and you might just make some of the most valuable memories and friendships of your college career by doing so. In order to truly grow as a person, you have to get used to being comfortable with being uncomfortable; this is something I struggle with, personally, and I'm still working on it. Don't allow yourself to make excuses! You might find a new-found love through an activity you were anticipating to dislike. However, be careful not to do anything you may regret or might get you into trouble!

6. Never Forget Where You Come From

My super supportive family! This photo is from Christmas Eve 2017, but it will always be one of my favorites.

Sophie Hanneken

It's completely understandable to get caught up in the newness and unfamiliarity of your first fall semester in college. However, it is extremely important to keep close contact with the people who helped get you where you are. I talk to my family each and every day, sometimes multiple times a day, just to check in. I FaceTime my best friend, who attends a University about two hours northwest of mine, as often as I can-- sometimes, we even schedule weekends where we visit one another's schools. The way I see it, you should never let the important relationships of your life sit on the backburner simply because they aren't close in proximity to you. Everyone appreciates a call or a text, even if it's something as simple as, "Hey, I hope your day's going well! Love and miss you!"

While this is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to what I learned last semester, I find so much value in these specific lessons. I have grown tremendously as a person throughout the past four months, and I can't wait to see what my first spring semester in college has to offer me!