10 Things I Learned My First Semester Of College That Didn't Add Up To A 4.0

It's finally over!!!!

1847
Unsplash

As my first semester of college comes to a close, I wanted to share a few things that I have realized.

I'm not the "typical" college girl by any means and my college experience is probably not as intriguing as yours, but I knew what I had to accomplish and what I wanted out of my college career the moment I applied, and that is crucial to the decisions I make and lessons I learn.

1. Accept everyone.

College exposes you to a very diverse population. Not everyone is like you, and that is okay. Accept others. Include others.

2. It's not all about the experience - it's about your future.

You shouldn't feel bad for not being intrigued by the whole experience or having a different perception of the idea of the college experience. Ultimately, it's not about the parties or the sororities, it's about your education and your future. The one thing you have in common with everyone else is that you are all there for an education. That's what it's about.

3. You don't have to get a perfect grade on everything.

College is hard as hell. It's the real deal. It's the GPA that matters and the classes that prepare you for your career, so obviously it's not going to be as easy as high school. It's okay that you don't ace every test.

4. You don't have to fit in.

Once again, a very diverse population. You don't need to struggle to fit in with everyone around you. It's okay to be different.

5. It's okay to doubt your major.

You might change your major 25 times, or not at all. Either way, it's okay.

6. Being tired is the norm.

Whether you get 3 hours of sleep or 12 hours of sleep, you're always tired, stressed, and showing up to your 9am looking like trash. We're all in the same boat.

7. It's okay to decide that your college of choice is not for you.

Don't be afraid to transfer. You're not running away. If you aren't happy with your college of choice, that's okay. Don't make yourself miserable for four years just because you don't want to go through the heartache of transferring.

8. It's okay to be alone.

I used to always need someone to talk to in class or walk with in the hallways in high school, and now I'm lucky if I even talk to one person a day in class. Being alone is the norm.

9. You don't have to look nice everyday.

I started the semester off doing my makeup everyday and occasionally dressing cute, and now I am the complete opposite. I once saw a tweet that said you should look nice when you go to class because your professor is pretty much your boss, but I say F that. Do you know how much you have to walk around campus?????

10. A C+ is really an A.

Before I started college, my dad told me that there was no excuse to not make A's, but little does he know a C+ is really an A. Once again, college is hard as hell!!!!!