How Your First Semester Of College Away From Home Will Go, As Told By Someone Who Knows

It might not be what you expect.

28
pexels.com

High school graduates students are often excited to move away from home, however close or far that might be, and begin the next chapter of their lives on their own. Many people envision college as being a fun, new world of exciting opportunities, both academically and socially. However, changes happen that you might not anticipate.

On move in day, you're going to be a mixture of excited and nervous. If you know your roommate already, you might be less nervous, but if you're living with a stranger, it's another challenge you'll have to work through. If, like me, you go to a college where freshmen and new students move in a few days before returning students, you'll have a few days to get to know your roommate, people on your floor, and find your way around campus. Those first few days will be full of trying to find new friends and people you get along with.

The first week of classes is going to be hard, though not necessarily academically. It's when you're really left to your own devices, as your new friends will all have different schedules, so you'll have more free time. Homesickness is likely to also hit harder with having more free time. Don't try to ignore the homesickness, but don't mope around in your room all day either. Get outside and find some clubs to join or favorite spots on campus. Walks outside do wonders too.

The first month of college is all about finding your path. Who will your friends be? What groups will you get involved with, if any? How do college classes work? Are there people in your classes you can do homework and study with? Where are the best places to eat on campus, and what places do you avoid? How do you share a room with a roommate, respecting their privacy but also having a right to spend time in your room too? The first month might seem to go slowly, and you think the semester might never end.

By the second month, you'll likely have the answers to the above questions, and you'll have developed a routine. If your homesickness isn't better by this point, talk to your RA or go to the counseling center on your campus. You can also go home on weekends, assuming you can afford to, but don't go every weekend; you'll miss out on what campus life is really like. Classes will be getting busier and harder by now, but you'll survive. Plan ahead and do as much as you can without wearing yourself out. Taking time for yourself is healthy too.

The third month might be a little more stressful, and by this time you'll likely be looking forward to Thanksgiving Break, which can't come soon enough. Make sure to balance your social life with academics. Too much of one won't be good for you in the long run.

Thanksgiving will be a nice week-long break but be ready to hit the ground running after. You'll likely only have a few more weeks until finals and then winter break, so keep focused on what you need to accomplish. Keep working hard, and don't be afraid to ask classmates or professors for help. The week before finals, also known as dead week, will probably be stressful and push you to your limits. Don't worry if you can't get everything done when you plan to; just do your best and accept that everything doesn't go according to plan.

Study for your finals more than just the day before. Find your spot where you can study without getting too distracted and spend as much time as you need there. Don't give up when the end is so near. The semester will be over before you know it, and when it is, enjoy your break and relax, but be ready to get back into the school routine in the spring semester.