First Round Draft Picks

First Round Draft Picks

Formal introductions suck -- let's talk music instead.

21
First Round Draft Picks
https://www.ebay.com/i/264264894745?chn=ps

I'll be the first to admit to sharing a song on my Instagram Story knowing full well that not a single person cares about what I'm listening to. I am guilty of this. I, like so many others, feel compelled to share what I'm listening to, even if just over social media. Finding a really good song or album is what drove me to wanting to have a radio show at my university, and I am happy to say that I have enjoyed two happy semesters exploring classic rock with the greater-Providence area. When I was trying to figure out how to introduce myself here at Odyssey, I decided that the best way was to simply share a few of my favorite songs, maybe in the hopes that someone reading will think, "Hey! I like that song too!"

I've decided to discuss my three, for lack of better phrase, "first round draft picks." I hope that I've done a good job explaining what they mean to me, how you can listen to them, and how they make me feel. You're free to judge, but please, don't hate on Stevie Nicks. That's where I draw the line.

"Dreams" by The Cranberries

This is a new favorite but is already my most-played song on Spotify right now. I first heard it on Netflix's Derry Girls (which I absolutely loved and have watched fully twice – but that's another article), and it was honestly one of those songs that punched me right in the gut. I was watching it with my family, and all I could think was that I needed to go upstairs and get in bed and lock my door and put on headphones and listen to this song at full volume. That's exactly what I did after we finished our episode, and I spent the next hour tearing up at the lyrics. The song, written by band vocalist Dolores O'Riordan, explores the highs and loves of first love in heartbreaking honesty. The harmonies give me chills every single time. My favorite line? "I know I've felt like this before / But now I'm feeling it even more / Because it came from you." Absolutely gorgeous. This song literally reaches into your soul and reminds you that second, third, and tenth loves can be just as earth-shattering as your first. Eleven out of ten. Will be my most played song of the year.

"Tusk" by Fleetwood Mac

I love this song so much I might scream. The titular song from the band's 1979 studio album encapsulates the intense feelings of paranoia that can come from an unhealthy relationship. The album itself, described by Stevie Nicks as "weirder and heavier" than she was even able to comprehend, is worth listening to, despite not getting quite the attention and acclaim of Rumours, recorded just two years prior. I guess I like Tusk because it's such a hodge-podge of pieces. "Tusk" is the album in a nutshell – whacky, bold, emotional, brass. The lyrics are sparse, but what sets this song apart from anything else by Fleetwood Mac is the appearance by the USC (University of Southern California) marching band. The percussions are unbelievable, and the brand-new sound achieved is the result of dozens of objects being used as drums – even a Kleenex box. The 1997 recording of "Tusk" on Fleetwood Mac's live album The Dance (1997) outdoes the original. If you like Fleetwood Mac as much as I do, definitely check out Tusk if you're looking to get a little deeper into the band's discography.

"Younger Now" by Miley Cyrus

"Younger Now" is my designated introspective song. This is what I listen to when I know I'm wrong. When I've made a mistake, or when I've embarrassed myself, or on the rarer occasion when I'm feeling proud. It is self-growth in four minutes and eight seconds, and I cannot think of a time when I didn't feel better after listening to it. I like this song because it addresses past behavior and explains how we shouldn't shy away from the person we used to be. Younger Now (2017) is a pivotal album for Cyrus, indicating a shift in lyrical and visual content. Although it is significantly tamer than her previous studio album, it is able to maintain high levels of creativity and openness. I first heard this song about two years ago, and it has since gotten me through some really bad times. My favorite line? "No one stays the same / You know what goes comes back around." Cyrus is one of my favorite vocalists, and I could listen to this song for hours. If you like this song, definitely listen to "Rainbowland (feat. Dolly Parton)." Same happy vibes, same message of love and peace.

Of course, these are not my only favorite songs. I could write pages and ages about the songs that make me laugh and cry. I hope that this listicle (what a word!) gives you a little peek into my music library and, ultimately, into my brain. I'm genuinely so excited to have this new platform at Odyssey, and I would love to hear from anyone who loves talking music as much as I do. Thank you for reading! And please, go listen to "Dreams" by The Cranberries. Now. Do it.

Thank me later.