What I've Learned After My First Month Of College
Education

6 Things I've Learned In The First Month Of College

For those who haven't lived it from those who have.

511
Gabrielle Faletto

After packing up everything I can possibly fit in the back of my car and saying all the hard goodbyes, I have turned the page to a new chapter of my life. Leaving my hometown and going off to college was a day I never thought would become a reality.

Coming from a small town in the middle of the cornfields of Illinois to the University of Missouri that has over five times the population of my tiny hometown is a huge transition for me, and honestly quite terrifying. While counting down the last few moments of summer until the anticipated move-in day, I couldn't have been more nervous.

However, after living on campus for only a short amount of time, I've learned various lessons from personal experience along with insightful advice from friends that will become key factors for making the next four years unforgettable.

Take advantage of the various events and free food

Olivia Childs

Over the course of the first few weeks at college, there will be a variety of events and activities for students to attend and get a feel for the culture. Here at Mizzou, the first week before classes was known as welcome week. Whether it be a free concert on the quad or glow in the dark yoga, there are many different opportunities for freshman to navigate their way around campus, meet some great people who were just as nervous, get free t-shirts and of course, my favorite, indulge in all the free food! I would highly suggest incoming freshman to plan on going to one or two activities a day. Not to mention, it is a great feeling seeing someone in class or around campus that you recognize from welcome week.

Call your parents often

Steven Limbrunner

Whether it be letting them know you got the job, asking them how to correctly do your laundry, or even if you just want to hear their voice, calling your parents often can put you at a sense of ease. And trust me, they're having a way more difficult time not seeing you walk in through the door.

The thing is, you won't know how to "adult" because they were always there to do everything for you. It's important to call them even if it is because you need help with something only your dad knows how to fix, if you miss the water pressure of your shower, or anywhere else in between because your parents are the most excited about seeing your caller ID than anyone else.

Explore / venture out

Sierra Varney

It is easy to stick to a routine in which you take the same walk to class everyday, wish you were back in your dorm binge watching your favorite Netflix series and eventually head to the dining hall with friends from your floor. While that is fun and all, the moments where you make your campus feel like home are the moments that you will remember the most.

This means taking the more scenic route to class, even if it takes an extra 5 minutes, or exploring a part of campus you've never seen before, and hitting up the café in town that all the locals brag about. The more you immerse yourself in the area you live in, the more it begins to feel like home.

Manage your time wisely

Sierra Varney

Going from an eight hour school day to having only two or three 50 minute classes a day, it's important to maintain good time management skills. It's easy to end up feeling overwhelmed and stressed when you don't have control over your time. When that happens, it can be difficult to know how long it's going to take to complete a task, like that short paper you got assigned a week ago or all of unit one's homework that's due tomorrow morning.

When you practice good time management, there will be no room for procrastination. For me, I always try to get my homework done ahead of time, especially on Monday nights; You have to make time for bachelor night!

Find your calling / get involved

Lily Gray

If something sounds interesting to you, don't let anything hold you back from trying it. You may find what you've been missing. For me, I had a difficult time adjusting to the college life. I decided to sign up for a yoga class at the rec center, mostly to keep myself distracted from the fact that I miss my friends and family back home. Two weeks later, I now own my own yoga mat and like to refer to myself as a yoga enthusiast.

Being so caught up with nerves and stress the first week and a half, I forgot how much being active clears my mind. Going off of that, you definitely don't want to miss the involvement fair, where each club/organization will have its own table. You can learn about each organization and sign up to be added to their email list. Trying new things is a great way to meet people who may have the same common interests as you.

Keep in touch

Sandy Faletto

Being six hours away from home at an out-of-state college, I was excited to start fresh and meet a lot of new people. Even so, I have already made some great friends here at Mizzou that I spend a great deal of time studying with, working out with, and even making a late night run to the nearest ice cream shop with.

However, with your busy, ever-changing life at college, never forget to text or better yet, call your friends back home. They are the ones who provide a sense of familiarity when the pressures of school can be overwhelming. They are the ones who have stayed by your side for the past decade. While friendships change as we transition into a new chapter of our lives, that doesn't mean the friendships should fade away. Always know, when moving forward, don't hesitate to keep in touch with the ones who miss you the most.