Things I Learned After My First Month Of College

Becoming involved with things that you enjoy is probably the best part of college.

8

After spending a month away at college, here are some things I learned that nobody has warned me about.

1. Your family will contact you way more than you thought they would.

Unsplash

I never realized how much my family would miss me until I started my first day of college. My mother called me seven different times while my dad texted me at the start of every hour. My aunts would call and text me wondering when I was coming home, and my younger brother even texted me hoping that I was having a good first day.

2. You might not be best friends with your roommate.

Unsplash

After my first month, I realized that my roommate and I don't really talk to each other. We don't hate each other (I hope!), but we just don't really talk. Hopefully, over the next few weeks, I'll be able to start talking to her and try to start a friendship with her.

3. It's super important to join clubs.

Unsplash

Joining clubs are a great way to meet people and to get out of the dorm. Becoming involved with things that you enjoy is probably the best part of college. Joining a writing club or a choir, becoming a cheerleader or becoming part of the dance team will probably bring you out of the shell that you're in.

4. It's okay to miss a few parties

Unsplash

I know it may seem like college is the part of your life to go crazy and do everything that you want while you're on your own. I'm not saying that going to parties is a bad thing, but if you're the type of person who has never gone to a party and people are pressuring you, it's okay to miss a few parties. Go only go if you want to go. No one should pressure you into going if you don't want to.