5 Things I've Learned At My First Job In The Restaurant Industry
Food Drink

5 Things I've Learned At My first job in the Restaurant Industry

Even when every single booth is taken at the restaurant people will still ask for one, and then proceed to get upset at you when you tell them one is not available at the moment.

1426

After starting my first restaurant job this summer I quickly learned the skills of customer service. I have found a new appreciation for people with jobs in hospitality and it has taught me a lot about myself and how to treat people. With that being said here are 5 things I have learned working in a restaurant.

1. It is difficult to deal with rude customers

c1.staticflickr.com

I get it, we all want to enjoy our dining experience because we are using our hard earned money to enjoy a nice, delicious meal. But a little secret is: people who work in hospitality jobs are much more willing to accommodate your needs if you are nice to them. There is a lot going on behind the scenes of a restaurant so mistakes are inevitable, but choosing to handle these situations with mature and respectable attitude will make everyone's experience better.

2. Tables are just not good enough anymore

upload.wikimedia.org

"Can I get a booth?" Being a host at a restaurant that has both booths and tables has lead me to the conclusion that people just hate tables. Even when every single booth is taken at the restaurant people will still ask for one, and then proceed to get upset at you when you tell them one is not available at the moment. Well, all I am going to say is, appreciate tables because they are the backbones of booths.

3. People think that tipping a server bad will "teach them a lesson"

c1.staticflickr.com

We all know those people that think tipping their server poorly will result in better service the next time. And the truth is, no, no it will not. This server will just be pissed and will continue serving tables how they always do. I always think it is important to realize that there is a lot of things that happen that are beyond the servers control, such as how long food takes to cook. Just know that they are usually always doing their best.

4. Patience is not a virtue when people are hungry

c1.staticflickr.com

People are very impatient when they are hungry, and I get it, so am I. But since working at a restaurant I understand the process that goes behind ordering food and understand that food does take time. Working in a restaurant has taught me how to have much more patience, both at other restaurants, and other aspects of my life.

5. Make reservations for large parties

c1.staticflickr.com

Not only will you not have to wait for a table, but the host will not be running around trying to figure out where to seat you. It just makes everyones' lives easier.

Before working in the restaurant industry I was pretty oblivious to how much work goes on behind the scenes to create a happy and enjoyable experience for customers. I have since realized that there is so much that the customer does not know or see. I am writing this to hopefully open the eyes to someone to be more understanding of people's mistakes and appreciative of the generosity offered through hospitality jobs.