7 Thoughts You've Had As An Obstacle-Crushing, First-Generation College Student

You also develop an appreciation for what it means to be disadvantaged.

44
Sebastian Zgirski

As a first-generation college student, getting to college has not been easy. There were and still are many things about even how college works that. I’ve struggled to comprehend things seem pretty straightforward to children from college-educated families. I am here in school, and I am so thankful for that, but it has not been easy. It’s common knowledge that first-generation students have it a little harder than non-first gen students, and that’s okay.

But it is difficult, so if you are a first-gen student, however, know that you're not alone.

1. "So what exactly is this SAT thing?"

In high school, and even as early as middle school, I’ve watched numerous friends be prepared for standardized tests such as the SAT and ACT. They would be enrolled in pre-SAT courses and have numerous books on the subject. On the other hand, while I had heard of the SAT, and I knew it was some sort of standardized test that I needed to take to get into college, there was no culture that existed in my home and family to help prepare me for the test.

There were no SAT prep books, no SAT courses that I was signed up for, and no knowledge of what the SAT was. Eventually, when SAT time came around, I took maybe one practice test I found at a library, and that was it. I didn’t get the best grades on my SAT, but hey, I’m in college anyway (hint standardized tests don’t mean anything). Nonetheless, in a world in which tests like the SAT are a big deal, not having any sort of familial experience does act as a barrier.

2. "So… um… how do I apply for college?"

As a first-generation student, there is no one in your immediate family that knows how to apply for college because... surprise! You’re usually the first person to have done that. Applying to college is a long and tedious process and even something as simple as learning how to navigate the website, or what certain terms on the application mean, might prove to be difficult for you because… wait for it… you’re the first person to be doing this.

3. "So… who will help me with my application essay?"

The college application essay is a huge part of the college application process. It’s your chance to really show the admissions officers who you are and to convince them into accepting you. The thing is that 17-year-olds are fallible and will probably not be perfect essay writers.

For the most part, 17-year-olds need some form of guidance on how to write a good application essay because chances are they haven’t yet developed the tools to know how to market oneself. Having someone by your side who has those tools already, and knows what the admissions officers are looking for and how to give it to them is a useful asset. Personally, one of the reasons why I almost didn’t apply for college was because I didn’t know what I needed to write. Ultimately, us first gens have to actively seek out those people who can help us as we don’t inherently have them.

4. "Ok… great… I’m here now what do I do?"

So as with every student, applying to college is only a small step towards the journey. Once you get to college, well... that’s where it all really begins. As a first-generation student, the difficulties associated with applying to college, well they transfer over to being in college. Suddenly you’re in a place where you don’t fully understand all the academic terms being thrown at you, and where there are a system and culture that you haven’t really been able to prepare for. Things like knowing how to register your classes or plan out your schedule end up being rather difficult. Knowing how to use resources, such as academic advisors is also something that firsts gens can struggle with.

5. "So… what do I major in, and how do I choose it?"

Choosing a major is important an important part of the college process, but as a first-gen student, you really don’t have that background that can help you prepare for looking at majors. You don’t have the background that can help you decided on possible carrier choices. In addition, there are some majors that you don’t know what they are. As a first-generation student, you have to really take the imitative to figure out majors on your own.

6. "I wish my parents could help."

As can be surmised from the rest of this article, as a first-generation student, you really don’t have that background of support and understanding to help you, and in college, you are kind of on your own. And it’s not that first-generation student parents are irresponsible and don’t want to help their kids, they actually really do, but it’s that they really don’t know how.

Most parents will sit on the sidelines and do everything they can to support their children, but in the case of the parents of first-generation kids, there isn’t always a lot the parents can do.

7. "I’m the better for it."

Being a first-generation student is not easy. It takes so much determination and willpower for first-gen students to get into college, in and of itself, and being successful in college well that takes another world of effort. It is difficult, and it continues to be difficult, but it’s important to remember that as a first-gen student, you have crossed a world full of barriers to get to where you and it takes a lot of strength, courage, and willpower to do that.

You also develop an appreciation for what it means to be disadvantaged and to work hard because you understand those things through personal experience.

So, yes, while it is difficult to be the first person in your family to go to college, you become a stronger, more empathetic, and better person for it. Be proud!