The First Day of Next Season

The First Day of Next Season

National Signing Day is upon us.

13
The First Day of Next Season

National Signing Day ignites the start of the next college football season every year, and for Auburn this could be one of the biggest steps to getting us into the CFB Playoffs.  If you have not heard, because you pay no attention to Auburn football, Will Muschamp is our new defensive coordinator and that means recruiting defense. After being ranked 63rd overall for points against on defense, and 92nd for total sacks, defense has been the focus of recruiting for the 2015 season.

As I write this, it is already NSD and our Tigers have made a splash, to say the least.  We have successfully recruited the number one player on the 2015 ESPN Top 300 recruits list -- defensive end, Byron Cowart. Torn between playing at UF in his home state, and Auburn, the relationship he developed with Will Muschamp when he was coaching at UF is what convinced Cowart to follow Muschamp to Auburn. As it was stated earlier, our defense was ranked 92nd in total sacks last season, and adding Cowart to a D-line with a healthy Carl Lawson and Montravius Adams could mean big things for 2015.  

On top of adding Cowart, the number four offensive linebacker on the ESPN 300, Jeffery Holland, has also committed to the Tigers. We have also added two more offensive linebacker recruits in the top 100 of the ESPN 300. This just shows that Muschamp is living up to his end of the bargain when he told the Auburn faithful that he would get our defense back at the top of the SEC.

Another bright spot for Auburn, today, was the signing of the number athlete on the ESPN 300, Kerryon Johnson. Listed at No. 20 overall on the ESPN 300 list, Johnson will bring even more speed to our fast-paced read option offense. On top of that, Jovon Robinson, the number one junior college transfer will also be joining the Auburn Tigers offense at running back, giving us even more depth. We have jumped up to number eight overall for the 2015 recruiting class, from number 12 last week. Adding Cowart, Holland, and Johnson has played a major role in the jump.  

With high hopes for the 2015 season, Muschamp has already impressed me more than Ellis Johnson ever did, and that bodes well for our defense. With a stout defense and an explosive offense, the Auburn Tigers are making a serious case for joining the favorites to be in this season playoff. There are 160 days until football, War Eagle.