First Day of Classes: Freshmen vs. Seniors

Remember when we overpacked and thought writing a paper about ourselves would be hard work?

2240
Project Eve Money

In 2013, I was an 18-year-old college freshman, wide-eyed, bushy-tailed, and terrified of the big bad campus before me. I looked up my classes for days before school actually started so I would know where they were. I organized my room and plastered my walls with posters. I called my parents every hour by the hour. Lost? Call mom. Hungry? Mom! Scared or lonely? Mom!? Dad?! You there!?

It's now 2016, I'm a 21-year-old college senior who is both ready to graduate and move onto the next chapter in life, but also terrified of the real world while I watch cartoons and color. I forgot which classes I'm taking -- basically whatever I need to graduate. My room is not organized because I'm too busy dwelling in my own existential crisis pool.

Freshman First Day of Class vs. Senior First Day of Class

1. Waking Up

Freshman: Yes! I'm so pumped! My class is at 8 a.m., it's 5 a.m. so I have plenty of time, and I'm ready to learn, get to know some people, and party! I can't wait. I have no idea what college is like aside from the movies. I wonder if they really use red solo cups. I wonder how nuts the parties are. I wonder if people really wear PJs to class. Probably not; that's silly. I'm going to eat a well-balanced breakfast at the dining hall with my roommates and then ride my bike to class and make sure I have all my supplies in my backpack. I'm so excited!

Senior: *pulls self out of bed 15 min before class* Great. School's starting again. At least it's better than working full time...

2. Getting Ready

Freshman: I have been planning this outfit for weeks. Everything matches, I've got the perfect hairstyle and makeup, and I am dressed to impress.

Senior: Makeup? Optional. Pants? Okay, probably not optional. Ugh, okay, come on, you have to go to class. You only have one more year left. You got this.

3. Going to Class

Freshman: Wow this is so exciting; I'm on a realcollege campus!! And this campus is so big! I wonder if I'll be able to get to all my classes in time. I hope I don't get lost. Wow, so many people!

Senior: Oh my gosh, are you kidding me? Relinquish the parking spot and no one gets hurt. Screw it, I'll just make do. I have 10 minutes until class.

4. School Supplies

Freshman: Good thing I packed my bag last night. Got binders, notebooks, pens and pencils in my pencil pouch, a pencil sharper, a ruler, some crayons and colored pencils, my laptop and charger, my phone charger, a water bottle, a novel in case I get bored, a towel if I want to lay out on the grass later, a snack, an eraser...

Senior: Eh, it's syllabus week. I'll bring a pencil and maybe an old notebook from last year that has a clean page somewhere.

5. Friends

Freshman: I'm not sure how I'm remaking my identity yet, so I'm going to pretend like I'm friends with everyone. Want to go to dinner? Let's do it. Party? Leggo. Swipe you into Dubs? I mean, sure, why not?

Senior: I have three friends with whom I drink wine and watch stupid reality shows on a weekly basis. That's the most amount of people I can deal with.

6. Lunch

Freshman: Who wants to go to the dining hall with me?

Senior: I have my capstone class during lunch. What is lunch?

7. Afternoon/Evening Activities

Freshman: Wow, there are so many choices! Ultimate frisbee? Shopping? Gym? Party? Chalking? Hammock and reading? Party?!

Senior: Wine? Comfy clothes? The comfort of my own home? Yes, please.

8. Homework

Freshman: Wow, I have a quiz on the syllabus andI have to write a page introducing myself to my UNI class? But it's only the first day!

Senior: I have two exams, a paper, and I need to pre-write my thesis before the first class even starts? Oh good. So a light workload this semester.

9. Calling Home

Freshman's parent: Oh my goodness, my sweet baby angel, I miss you so much. I was watching one of those cop shows and they were pulling over drunk college students and I just got so worried; you are not drinking are you? You are not doing the coke or the weeds, are you?

Senior's parent: Yeah, yeah, we miss you oodles and caboodles, but just know that you can stay in our house for one year maximum after graduation and then you're on your own, got it? We're thinking about turning that room into another home office or gym.

10. Thinking about the Future

Freshman: I'm nervous but it's okay because I have four years to figure it out, right? I'll just be an undeclared major until I figure out what makes me happy!

Senior: *internal screaming and sitting in the middle of the room staring at a wall*