My First College Roommate: The Weird, The Good, The Bad

The littlest things in college: so good and so bad

46
Vulture TV

Going into college, I was very nervous about meeting my roommate for the first time. We talked over facebook, cliché I know, but she’s from the Midwest and I’m from the East Coast, and all I knew was her name. I also had never lived with a roommate before, so I was a little nervous how this would play out. I can say now she’s one of my best friends, but that’s not the only benefit of living with your best friend. Still though, there are a lot of cons to this whole roommate thing as well. Let me share some with ya…

THE PROS

1) I never thought I'd meet someone with as messed up as a sleeping schedule as I have, but here we are both going to bed at 4 and waking up at 8!

2) You get a second wardrobe!

3) You get a new best friend, real quick, real close, real fast

4) They can wake you up if you've slept and they know you're running late

5) You never feel lonely

6) Study help-reading papers over or doing homework together

7) You always have someone to go out with, or stay in with

8) Do laundry together

9) They always have your back-no matter what it involves

10) You always have someone to vent to and share all your secrets

11) Outfit advice

12) Your social circle doubles, your friends becoming their friends, their friends becoming your friends

13) Once and awhile they'll cook something nice for you, like mine making me popcorn!

14) You become order-in buddies

15) You have dance parties in your room

16) They help you clean... AND make a mess

17) When you get locked out and forget your access card they'll let you in

18) When you forget your towel in the shower so they bring it to you

19) If you run out of something, they have it, second sets of everything!

20) You always have someone to go get both Wendy's and Froyo with downstairs at midnight and makes you feel less guilty

21) Always have someone to say goodnight to

22) Sleepover every night

THE UGLIES

1) Less privacy

2) You have to share food, a concept I'm not familiar with or fond of

3) Sharing a mirror...when you both have to get ready at the same time...

4) You both think the other will do something, which results in nothing getting done

5) Different wake up times and having to tiptoe around the room to try to not wake up the other

6) You're always going to run out of food, no matter how much you tell yourself you won't

7) When they get sick, get ready to get sick

8) Deciding who will take out the trash is a big dilemma

9) When you both realize as you're all cuddled up in your bed about to flutter your eyes clothes that someone's going to have to get up and shut off the lights Deciding who's going to shut the lights off before bed

10) Who's refilling the water filter?