9 Reasons My Fine Arts (New York) Trip Was Awesome

New York, in the perspective of a tourist.

3
Alyssa Eiben

My senior year of high school, was the year a fine arts trip landed on a "big" trip. Every four years there is a big trip hosted by the school. Senior year was going to be for New York. So many thoughts popped into my head. “Oh my god! Finally, New York,” or “Will I get murdered?” etc. It was the first thought that actually happened, otherwise you would not be reading this because I wouldn’t be here, unless I am a ghost. Spoiler! I am not a ghost. Anyway, here is a list of reasons, my trip was awesome:

1. The Statue of Liberty

She is so beautiful up close. The ferry was awesome; the scenery was wonderful. The museum inside is so cool with the miniature statues and facts about our Lady Liberty. I didn’t get to go up to the pedestal (we were running out of time) or the crown (we didn’t have those tickets). Although I wasn’t able to go up there, I still had fun (there is always a next time). My friend who is going blind made this part awesome. Thanks Kyle! You Rock! Even though he couldn't see most things, he had a blast. It made me rethink why I was sad that I didn't get to go up there, because he wasn't even able to at all (due to his disability).

2. Night Tour

New York is beautiful, but it can also be dangerous. Not in the way you think. We got to ride on the top of a double-decker bus, and our tour guide got hit by a hanging tree branch, and he had a bloody nose (I’ll spare the gruesome details. It was bad). People were gasping and saying “the tour guide!” Me, thinking it was the tour guide for just the night tour, I looked up to the front to see she wasn’t there. I thought she had fallen down the steps. Like why wasn’t anyone getting up to get her? Then I looked next to me. Thankfully it wasn’t her that they were talking about, it was our actual tour guide for the entirety of the trip (not that it’s a good thing he got injured, but it’s better than the night tour guide falling down the stairs). Sigh of relief times four (Times Square). Ha Ha. I crack myself up.

3. The 9/11 Memorial

The rush of silence and emotion was an incredible feeling. I was amazed by this sublime feeling I had. I just felt at peace knowing there was something wonderful there for everyone who passed away to have a light shown on not only the emergency personnel dying, but the others too. It was something I will never forget. (Enter moment of silence).

4. The Empire State Building

Being up 86 floors made me feel powerful. Being able to see the beauty of New York at such high ground was exhilarating. I felt all of my problems slowly drift away. I just saw the peace in not only New York, but myself too. It amazes me how different it all is at a new perspective. Down in the streets is fast-paced and crazy, but above it all, it is quiet and peaceful.

5. Times Square

This was awesome, mostly because I saw the red stairs where Glee performed in the "New York, New York" episode. Not being able to sit on them was heartbreaking. Although I didn’t get to shop, I got a portrait done (with a free frame that was supposed to be $10 extra. Thanks Denise!). Rock on! Speaking of "Rock," we went to the Hard Rock Café to eat. It was delicious. I saw the 2015 Times Square Ball. There are so many things I saw that it all mushed together, and I should just end here before I confuse you.

6. Museum of Modern Art (MoMA)

Although I was tired and in pain (from walking so much) at this time, I loved being there and seeing what is considered art. Seeing Rose II by Isa Genzken made me feel so happy because my mother passed away in January before the trip. It felt like she was with me, and I suddenly felt a little better. My mother's name is Rosemary, by the way.

7. Central Park

I pretty much just remember seeing the statue of Balto, and the John Lennon memorial in Strawberry Fields. I loved seeing the Lennon memorial because there were roses scattered around “Imagine.” Which also gave me the feeling of my mother with me. Imagining the smile on her face made me so proud of myself for doing something that I wanted to do, which was go on the trip in the first place.

8. "Wicked"

This was my favorite part of the trip. Although I didn’t get to see Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth perform, it was a beautifully "wicked" performance. I had been wanting to see that production for ages. Before the show, we met up with a cast member and did a Broadway Workshop. We learned the music and the dance to the song “One Short Day,” which is a song in the show. Although I forgot some of the dance, I do remember the song (sings the song in head). I didn't get a picture of the production (because it's broadway and you can't take pictures or video), but I did get a (quite expensive, but worthy) shirt.

9. "Rocky"

Although this isn’t in New York, it’s still worth telling. We went to Pennsylvania on our way home, and ran the steps...that Rocky ran. How awesome is that? Not many people can say they did that. It was actually really cool. Some people are probably like “who cares, Sylvester Stallone wasn’t even there when you were.” I do care because he was there before. Ha ha. It’s almost the same thing, right? I was in the same place of most of the celebrity population while in New York. That was the best thing ever. All we have in Iowa is Ashton Kutcher, and he doesn’t even live here. That meanie!

I would totally recommend going to New York, if you haven’t. It’s actually a beautiful place. There are so many opportunities and sights to see. I left some out, but that’s because I didn’t have any pictures of those places, and they weren’t as important to me as the ones above were. New York is awesome. If you go there, you wont regret it! If Pennsylvania is on the way home, run the "Rocky" steps! It's a bit of a work out, but it's exhilarating.