4 Reasons I Choose To Write Even Though I Have A Busy Life

4 Reasons A Full-Time College Student With Three Jobs is Making Time to Write

Writing for the Odyssey is a choice I'm glad I made.

25
https://unsplash.com/photos/FHnnjk1Yj7Y

My schedule is the definition of busy. Awake at 6:30 a.m., at work by 7:30 a.m., sociology class at 10:30 a.m., quick meeting at noon, then to my Honors class by 1:30, leaving me just enough time for an evening shift downtown by 3:45 p.m., home by 11:00 p.m., and hopefully asleep by midnight, depending on the amount of homework that I have due the next day. This is a fairly typical day that I, and many college students, are quite familiar with experiencing. On top of the fact that I have a pet dog who is practically my child and requires nearly the same amount of attention (I swear I open the back door for him at least twenty times a day for him to chase squirrels), my time is stretched quite thin to cover all of my responsibilities.

I know I can become a better writer

I barely have any time to write outside of my college writing (college essays – not always the most fun of times), so I know that by writing for a platform that allows me to write freely and better understand my opinions, I will be encouraged to spend more time reflecting on the weekly queries that life brings to my attention.

I have gained a community of supportive writers

Sometimes, writing can be a daunting task for me. Sharing my writing is a whole different story. But with a community of supportive peers who are there to help inspire ideas and improve my writing, it seems a bit less daunting. It reminds me of the importance of connecting with those who have similar interests to you – they will help push you to be the best person you can be.

I will strengthen my passion for writing

When I was younger, I would spend my free time writing in my composition notebook about an imaginative superhero (I think her name was Asteria?) Now, with such a busy schedule, I don't leave myself that much time to free write about things that I care about, or even things at all. But I am fascinated with language and the power that words can have when strung together in a compelling way. Strong, persuasive, and passionate writing comes with practice and time. Now that I have an outlet to consistently write to, I am certain I will regain a passion for writing I once had as a child.

I am going to learn more about myself

It wasn't easy for me to promise my time to another commitment on top of the many I already hold, but the main reason I did, is that I know that I am going to learn more about myself. I am going to have to be vulnerable to write my thoughts, opinions, and feelings each week and post them to the public. I am going to have to pick topics I care about each week, I am going to have to test my ability to time manage, but most importantly, I am going to learn that I really can do it all if I want to.

Living in such a busy-oriented society can be very overwhelming if I lost the time to do what I love. The important thing is to make time for things you love. And I love to write, so here I am at the keys typing away and plan to continue each week.