Finding Happiness in the Holiday Season After Losing a Loved One

In Loving Memory of Robert Thomas
529

How is it possible to be happy during the holiday season after losing a loved one? Would they be mad or upset if they knew that I was enjoying the holidays without them? These thoughts have crossed my mind more than once over the years. It is always hard to lose someone you care for, but sometimes it's even harder to enjoy something that you always enjoyed with them. I experienced this in my own family and my boyfriend's family this year. My grandfather passed away just a few days after Thanksgiving last year and my boyfriend lost his uncle unexpectedly just a few weeks later. This being the first year we are celebrating Thanksgiving and Christmas without our loved ones, I know that the next few weeks are going to be tough for both of our families.

I've asked myself many times how can I enjoy the holidays when this time of year is filled with such grief and pain for so many people I love, and then I remember that my grandfather wouldn't want us to be sad for him because he is not in pain anymore and he is finally reunited with my mama, who passed away when I was five. The one thing my grandparents loved was when their family was all together under one roof and I'm sure that they were smiling down on my family while they sat down for dinner this Thanksgiving. I love the verse from Romans that says "I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us." (Romans 8:18) This verse reminds me that even though we miss our loved ones and wish that they could be here to celebrate the holiday season with us, they are celebrating within the glory of Heaven with the man who is the reason for this season, Jesus Christ.

I take so much comfort in knowing that my loved ones are no longer suffering and that I will see them one day in glory.It is my faith in God that gives me the hope that I will see them again. And I know so many people who will be waiting with open arms. So while it may feel wrong to enjoy Thanksgiving and Christmas know that your loved ones are watching over you and wouldn't want you to be sad during this joyous time of the year. Being happy doesn't mean that you have forgotten those who have passed. I miss all of my loved ones who have passed every day but when I stop and think of the real reason behind the Christmas season, I am comforted.

In Loving Memory of Robert Thomas 1929-2016