Finding your Niche at a Big University

Finding your Niche at a Big University

5 tips on how to make your school feel a little bit smaller and more like home.

44
Finding your Niche at a Big University
Cara Williams

Some see college as the time you're supposed to "find yourself". The reality of this is not as glamorous as it may sound, especially at a big university. While some people thrive at bigger schools, incoming freshman may find it difficult to find their niche at a big school. Finding a place where you feel comfortable and accepted is one of the key steps in making your campus feel a little bit more like home.

Attend your school's involvement fair 

A key part of finding a place you feel comfortable, is first seeing what your campus has to offer, whether it be clubs, greek-life, or on-campus employment, its important to see what your options are. Don't be afraid to talk to different clubs and sign up for different things you normally wouldn't be involved in! By trying something new you might be surprised to find how much you enjoy it!

Focus on your Interests

When finding your niche its important to stay true to yourself and your interests, this will make being involved more enjoyable, rather than something you see as a chore. Start by thinking about what you were involved with in high school. By focusing on your interests you'll also be able to find people interested in the same things as you,

Get Involved in Sports

You may go to a Division 1 sports university, but that doesn't mean you can't get involved in sports teams on campus. Most universities offer different organizations whether it be intramural or club teams that give you the chance to play your sport without the time commitment or try-out process of the division 1 level. Staying involved also helps you keep active in a more fun way than going to the gym every day.

Explore your campus 

If your school is similar to mine, your campus is huge. Rutgers University is made up of four campuses all of which have a completely different vibe to them. Exploring campus can help you find where you feel most comfortable and which environment you can grow in the best. In contrast, if you attend a smaller school, by exploring campus you'll meet new people! Don't' spend your time cooped up in your dorm, take a walk around campus when it's nice out or study in the library or common areas rather than in your dorm!

Don't Waste your Free Time - Keep Busy! 

When you first start attending a huge university things may seem very overwhelming. Coming from a high school graduating class of eighty people, I can safely say I was extremely nervous about attending such a big university, where one lecture could have more people in it than my graduating class did. By keeping busy you feel a little less overwhelmed with how big your school is - all while trying new things and finding the one place you feel your most comfortable self. The worst thing that could happen by you trying new things is you end up not liking something. Which is okay! It'll just give you more motivation to move onto the next thing.

Although it may seem overwhelming and scary at first, staying busy and trying new things can help you feel more at home at school as well as begin the process of "finding yourself" in college.