Finals Are Over, But This Is When Things Get Stressful

Pre-nursing and Nursing students never really get a break

3

From the moment we decide our major until the moment we graduate, there really is no break time for a pre-nursing/nursing student. We had to work hard the first two years to take the necessary classes and keep our GPA high enough to stay eligible for nursing school, while also working and/or volunteering to gain experience, and trying to take care of ourselves, but that's just the start.

Once we get accepted to the nursing school, so begins countless hours of classes, clinical work, studying, possibly keeping the job(s) we already have, and still trying to take care of ourselves. Good thing I like staying busy! I am currently a Sophomore in college which means that within the next month I will know whether or not the hard work I've put in these past 2 years was enough or if I have to keep trying to make myself stand out for another year.

The anxiety and stress around applying and awaiting a decision lingers from the very beginning until you finally receive that acceptance letter. I never got a break this year since this is the year I'm applying. Over winter break I had to take an online class to ensure that I completed all my prerequisites on time. The application also opened and closed over winter break so completing that to the best of my ability definitely took up most of my time.

Then spring break was spent preparing for the interviews. I bought a new outfit (which I never got to wear... thanks COVID), practiced answering questions, and reminded myself to be excited about the opportunity rather than nervous. Shortly after spring break we completed our interviews, and spent the rest of the semester focusing on our grades.

Now that the semester is over, everyone is starting to relax and pray that the country reopens for some summer fun. However, my stress is just beginning. In a few short weeks we will receive our nursing school decisions, and the possibility of not being accepted is one of the most anxiety-inducing things for an aspiring nurse. We've dedicated most of our lives to this career, and with the current pandemic, pre-nursing and nursing students are itching to get into the work force and do their part.

There's always the possibility of applying again next year if this year doesn't work out, but to us, our whole lives are riding on this. So while you're sitting in quarantine, sipping on another white claw and basking in the sun, text or call those pre-nursing students you know and wish them good luck or let them know you're thinking of them. It might not seem like much, but trust me we appreciate it.