13 Films, Recommended By A Story Enthusiast

“Film as dream, film as music. No art passes our conscience in the way film does, and goes directly to our feelings, deep down into the dark rooms of our souls." - Ingmar Bergman

186
YouTube

Right off hand, I can list thirteen films that directly influenced me. Some are critically acclaimed; maybe they're even classics. Some are exactly the sort of films you'd expect a teenage girl to watch every Saturday. Some of them are happy, some of them are sad, and most of them manage to encompass the rose and its thorns. Believing that we can be united by some top notch storytelling, allow me to share with you my thirteen favorite films, in no particular order.

1. Good Will Hunting

I first watched "Good Will Hunting" in the wake of the passing of Robin Williams, in my freshman year of high school. This film earned some much deserved praise at the Oscars in 1998; Matt Damon and Ben Affleck, who star in the film, won the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay, and Robin Williams won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor. The film follows Will Hunting, a genius limited by his class and emotional traumas. It's quirky, funny, yet serious. The audience is forced, in a way, to grow with Will.

2. Dead Poets Society

Here is another film I watched after the passing of Robin Williams. You probably shouldn't watch this film if you're emotionally fragile, as it is quite the tear-jerker. However, if you've ever said "carpe diem" and really meant it; if you think poetry makes the world more beautiful; if you, like me, think any Ethan Hawke movie is a good movie, you should also watch "Dead Poets Society."

3. When Harry Met Sally. . .

I'll admit that I'm biased in favor of anything starring Meg Ryan, but I promise "When Harry Met Sally..." is one of the funniest films I've ever watched. The film follows the changing relationship of Harry and Sally over several years. With clever humor, loving references to "Casablanca," and comedic support from the lovely Carrie Fisher, "When Harry Met Sally..." is a fantastic film for any fan of romantic comedies. Also, the amazing Harry Connick Jr. performs the soundtrack for the film.

4. Breakfast at Tiffany's

You haven't really lived until you've heard Miss Audrey Hepburn sing "Moon River." Based on Truman Capote's novella of the same name, "Breakfast at Tiffany's" is a film you simply can't pass up. As always, Audrey Hepburn is a joy to watch, especially as the iconic Holly Golightly. Be prepared for a lot of self-reflection, though.

5. Schindler's List

I'm sure you've heard on this film based on the real-life Oskar Schindler's elaborate rescue of 1,200 Jews during the Holocaust. You should be warned that from start to end, this film is a faithful depiction of the horrors of Nazi Germany. Nevertheless, the film also depicts the more glorious aspects of humanity through the complex Schindler and those he saves.

6. Life is Beautiful

Another film set in Nazi Germany, the Italian "La Vita e Bella," is a must watch. The first half of the film is the most delightful comedy I've ever seen in my life. The second half, however, focuses more intently on the evil of the Holocaust. Still, the film is beautiful, and rightfully earned several Academy Awards, including Best Actor and Best Foreign Language Film.

7. Clueless

"Clueless," which is loosely based on Jane Austen's "Emma," is one of the greatest teen films of all time. Personally, I could probably sum up my entire personality with Cher gifs, so I might be biased when I say that everyone should relate to her on some level. Plus, Paul Rudd stars as Cher's love interest, and everything is better with Paul Rudd.

8. City Lights

I probably never would have watched this film if it weren't for the film class I took last semester. "City Lights" has to be the sweetest, cutest, and ultimately happiest thing I've ever seen in my life. I think everyone could benefit from seeing how Charlie Chaplin deals with topics such as depression and disability in this silent film.

9. Selena

This film starring Jennifer Lopez depicts the life of singer Selena Quintanilla-Perez. The film is so important because it embodies the soul of Tejano music and the essence of a beautiful soul who left the world too soon. Through the humor, the love of the Quintanilla family, and, of course, the music, this film genuinely changes its audience.

10. La Bamba

This film is also about the musical success of a Hispanic artist. The details of the film are a little fuzzy for me; it hurt my heart so much when I watched it as a child that I haven't watched it in almost ten years. However, I remember the soundtrack: the music of Ritchie Valens, which I listen to regularly. I remember the sense of family and the love of music conveyed by the film. And I think everyone should see it, too.

11. The Karate Kid

There is absolutely no excuse to not watch "The Karate Kid." It has literally everything good about stories: a wise mentor (Mr. Miyagi), a kind and brave love interest (Ali) a villain we can all hate (Johnny and the other Cobra Kai jerks), and an adorable underdog (Daniel LaRusso). The soundtrack is absolute perfection. Honestly, if you haven't watched this, drop everything and watch it now.

12. Back to the Future

13. The Princess Bride

As a matter of fact, just have an 80s movie marathon. "The Princess Bride" has everything from adventure to romance to comedy, from Andre the Giant to Cary Elwes to Billy Crystal. Your world will be infinitely better after you know all about of Buttercup and Westley, I promise.