Georgia Could Lose The Film Industry If The Heartbeat Bill Is Enacted

I'm A Film Major And The Heartbeat Bill Could Destroy My Career In Georgia

Governor Deal worked so hard to build the film industry in Georgia and now we are at risk of losing it.

576

I could go into grave detail and discuss all of the political and moral reasons why the heartbeat bill shouldn't become a thing, but there are a lot of other articles on these reasons. This issue has been a hot topic for several weeks now, and while I personally think that every woman has the right to chose if she wants an abortion or not, this bill could have other side effects if it becomes a law.

Georgia has become a crucial part of the film industry; in fact, the film industry adds $9.5 billion to the state's economy. Many companies like Disney, Netflix, and Amazon are now threatening to pull their productions out of Georgia if this bill becomes a law and many celebrities like Oscar winners Natalie Portman and Sean Penn, and as a Georgia filmmaker, that's terrifying.

So many major films and TV shows like "Stranger Things," "The Hunger Games," "The Walking Dead," "Madea," and the Marvel cinematic universe were and are currently being filmed in Georgia. Those projects bring in a lot of jobs for Georgia filmmakers, and if this bill actually becomes a law, all of those Georgia film jobs will disappear. That's thousands of people who can no longer afford to provide for their families because their job no longer exists in this state.

Georgia has already put in so much money hoping to encourage more Georgian's to study film. Governor Deal created the Georgia Film Academy so that film students can train and get a chance to work in the film industry while they are in school. Almost every college in Georgia now has an active film program so students can actually jobs in the film industry when they graduate. All of that money and hard work that people have put into this industry could disappear within the next year.

I'm a film major, hoping that one day, I can create stories that will impact the lives of others. I also grew up in Georgia, and I was hoping that I could one day create a feature film in Georgia. The cities are beautiful, there is a rich culture, and despite what everyone thinks, Georgia isn't just a state full of rednecks. Now, I'm not so sure that I will be able to that.