10 Surprisingly Deep Lessons From The 'Fifty Shades' Trilogy

10 Deep But Not-So-Dark Life Lessons I Learned Rewatching The ‘Fifty Shades’ Trilogy

These movies have deeper meanings than I originally thought.

1461

I recently re-watched the "Fifty Shades" trilogy and saw some valuable life lessons within the plot. While these movies are highly controversial and have a negative stigma against them, as it was originally "Twilight" fanfiction and that this isn't the typical love story, there's definitely more than what meets the eye. The story and plot of these movies are very interesting to follow, along with the love story between Ana and Christian. They have their ups and downs for sure, but in the end, they make things work and grow from it.

1. There are all kinds of men out there

While Christian has his quirks and mystery, he manages to find someone that forces him out of his comfort zone and do things he never thought he was capable of. Jose doesn't end up with anybody in the movies, but I like to think he gets with Christian's sister, Mia. But he's the kind of guy that gives you his coat and open car doors for you. And then there's Elliot who parties like nobody's business and has "slept with half of Seattle" at least according to his brother. And he even settles down with someone he thought he wasn't capable of dating.

2. Hard work does pay off

Ana finished college, got her Bachelor's, worked as an assistant at a publishing house, and was then promoted to Head of Fiction. She did this on her own and with her own talent. Even though it is a movie, there is some truth to this. If you work super hard, your work will pay off and you'll get to that dream job or place in your life you've always wanted.

3. It's OK to test your limits

This is very general and that's OK. You should test your job limits, how much work can you put in during the week? Or how you react to spontaneous trips to exotic locations? Or trying something different in the bedroom. Seeing how far you can push yourself will determine what you can and cannot handle.

4. There are always going to be people that think they're better than you

It doesn't matter how hard you work or how you dress to impress, people will always think they're better and deserve more than they have. And if anything, that's just an excuse to work harder for the things you want. If people think you're the biggest competition, show them that they have a reason to think that.

5. You need to put yourself and your needs first sometimes

There is absolutely nothing wrong with putting yourself first. Sometimes you need some me time and to just take a step back. Your needs are always valid and sometimes you are more important than whatever else is going on in your life. And that is 100% okay to admit to yourself.

6. Not everyone is who they appear to be

Whether your boyfriend has some hidden enjoyments or a boss that has ulterior motives. Everyone has more to them than what meets the eye, and there's nothing wrong with that. People like to keep their secrets to themselves and that is fine. So long as their secrets aren't harmful to others than there's nothing wrong with a little secrecy.

7. You can't help who you fall in love with

Ana didn't plan on falling in love with Seattle's Most Eligible Billionaire Bachelor, but here she is married to him. And Christian didn't plan on falling in love with anyone. But this just goes to show, that love is a mysterious thing, and anyone can fall in love with someone at any time. With or without warning.

8. People will doubt you, but it won't matter as long as you believe in yourself

There will always be people that don't believe you have what it takes to do a certain job, but as long as you know you can handle it, that's all that matters. It can be hard to ignore their comments and doubts, but once you get past those, you can be unstoppable.

9. Relationships take work and effort

This one is more self-explanatory, but it is always good to hear this from multiple people and sources. Relationships are full of compromising and doing things to benefit your partner, and that is very prevalent in these movies. Relationships also have ups and downs, and it may be frustrating, but it is so worth it when you realize that this person cares about you immensely.

10. It's OK to take a break from dating or working to focus on yourself

It can be hard to admit when you need a break, but people can only work so hard for so long. Or if your relationships keep failing after a couple of months, it might be time to take some time for yourself. Use your personal days to take a vacation. Or just spend the weekend holed up in your apartment/house. It doesn't have to be anything too extravagant, it just needs to be calm and a time for you to focus on yourself.