A Typical Work Week Story
Education

Fiction On Odyssey: A Typical Work Week

An Orwellian worker finds himself trapped in a typical work week.

137
Gregor Novak

monday

1:23 p.m.

Today I received the parts for the new mechanical secretary they said ordered for me last week. She's being put together by them as I type this out. They told me that Janice, the old one, had been sent to a new job. I sent an E-Card to Janice's ID to congratulate her.

tuesday

10:12 a.m.

They are still putting Janice's replacement together. Guess what? They're naming her Janice. How's that for originality? Anyways, I didn't finish my work assignment on time- I got distracted again. There was a fly exploring my cubicle. I had fun watching him fly around.

12:56 p.m.

They installed Janice. She'll be monitoring my work, like the old one did. I can't tell if she's watching now, but I'm pretending to type out reports, so I should be fine. I'll get back to work, but I'm still watching that fly out of the corner of my eye.

4:23 p.m.

Janice killed the fly.

wednesday

2:13 p.m.

I'm worried that someone may be reading these entries. I thought my notes app was a secret, but it was open as I came back from the bathroom. Janice is still in the corner of my cubicle, but I feel like she's watching. I'm going to try and find her power down switch so I can live in peace. I miss the fly that was here yesterday.

4:28 p.m.

I found her switch. Flipped it while her back was tur

4:30 p.m.

Everything is fine. Disregard all previous messages. I am now being productive at my work station.

thursday

9 a.m.

I am now sitting down to do my work.

5 p.m.

I have completed my work and am now heading home.

friday

9:43 a.m.

I feel a little wary of Janice now. I don't remember typing any messages yesterday. In fact, I don't remember coming home from work yesterday. But here I am, so I must have gone home. Anyways, I'm going to try and get rid of Janice today.

10:36 a.m.

There's a stapler on my desk, I'm sure if I clocked her metal head hard enough, she'd shut down. Hopefully, this'll work. I can't stand it anymore.

5 p.m.

Terminal has been rebooted. User has been sent to the mainframe for reprogramming.

Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner.