Is Fiction Really A Fiction?

Is Fiction Really A Fiction?

It's closer to reality than we think.
149

Is fiction really a fiction?

Or is it a hypothetical prediction towards imminent future possibilities?

In the movie “I, Robot” directed by Alex Proyas, an artificial intelligence by the name of VIKI communicates and connects with other robotic entities like how bees communicate through their hive communication system. Long story short, VIKI tries to lead an uprising to take over the human society by instigating robots to collectively take action to overthrow humanity from the top of the world, but fails and humanity is saved…

This plot should be a fictional theme existing only in movies and novels, right?

But that is only half of the truth.

The truth is, we already have something very close to VIKI in the reality.

We have the Google’s enhanced artificial intelligence program such as the "AlphaGo Zero" which according to IFLScience!, the program can learn “3,000 years’ worth of Go tactics in a matter of days,” (Andrews, 2018) and we also have AI programs that creates “children” to correct the programs’ bugs to enhance the AI for better performance or in short, the AIs can now self-evolve—you might even say that the AIs are close to formulating their own “will.” Soon, there will be a point where the AIs will create their own destiny and not the programmers. If God supposedly created the world and humanity—humanity evolves through our own will and volition. Now, the programmers may be gods and the AIs as the new “mechanity” that will evolve through its own will and volition.

This is not a fiction or a hypothesis because of the existence of the so-called, “Internet of Things” or IoT for short. Yes, there is actually a thing called the “Internet of Things”. Sounds a little humorous or some title from a Roald Dahl or Dr. Seuss’s many books, but this stuff is actually legit and pretty real. The IoT seems like a difficult concept to understand but to put it in simple terms, nearly all technologies in this world whether it be automobiles, mobile phones, personal laptops, or any other mechanical technologies are now all “connected” through the internet. And that’s how hackers can literally use their laptops to hack into your automobiles, mobile phones, and other technologies you own imaginable. But this also means that all technologies existing in our society are connected to each other.

Now, let’s add up what we have. AI sophistication such as AlphaGo + AI programs that self-corrects and self-evolves or pre-cursor to forming own will + IoT = VIKI.

In the very near future when all three of these technologies manage to connect into one existence stored within the quantum computer interface then there will be a creation of a very powerful system like VIKI (which will also utilize VR technology, algorithms calculations, and mechanoids as well) that can impact the society significantly or maybe even change the way how humanity will exist in the future.

Sounds like a far-fetched fiction?

Then again, is fiction really a fiction?