Fiction on Odyssey: John Groder's Shrine

Elementals Part 13

2
Peter Flood

The figure of John Groder stared up at his long dead wife for a minute more. In the ling silence Molly felt like He was waiting for something.

“You aren’t just here to mourn,” she said. “You’re here because we are.” She stepped down from the altar area and moved towards him. “I’m so sorry about what happened to her, Mr. Groder. What happened to your family was tragic.”

The shadowy figure let his head drop to his chest be for he turned and started walking.

“Wait,” Molly called after him. “We’re sorry about what happened but we need your help!” The figured kept retreating towards the door.

“Let’s follow him,” Billy said.

“I don’t know if that’s a good idea, the Last VanKraft said.”

“Then you stay,” Molly said. “We’re going after him.” She and Billy ran after the form of John Groder.

He passed through the doors of the church. Molly and Billy slipped out into the empty streets.

Without the Last VanKraft the angry shadows don’t appear,” Billy said.

“Then how are we going to find John Groder?” Molly asked.

“I don’t…” Billy stopped and squinted in the dark. “Over there, I can see something glowing.”

“It’s our only shot, let’s go.” Molly ran down the stairs and towards where the glow was coming from. She was confused at first. Where Billy had seen the glow was just a broken window. The inside of the house was empty.

Molly turned around in disbelief. She had been sure that the glow was leading them some where. She looked out the window towards the church steps. She could picture where she and Billy had been standing. She scanned the church for any other clues for where John Groderwent. Somewhere in the woods behind the church Molly could see a light.

"I think I see where the light was coming from. It was just reflecting off the glass. We'll have to go deeper into the trees."

Molly was almost running. Trees and brambles slashed at her. The light was growing larger. It was hard for herto keep from tripping on the rocks thatlittered the ground. She could hear Billy crashing around behind her. Molly had never realized that running made her feel so alive.

Molly slowed as she neared the light. It was coming from swirling symbols of shimmering light etched on to three massive standing stones. Molly stared at the monument. The rock was rough hewn, even with the wear of ages Molly could tell they had been carved by hand.

"He must have made this himself," she said. Billy came stumbling up beside her.

"What is this?" He asked.

"I think this is how John Groder cursed out family," Molly said. "He must have lead us hear to let us stop it."