What It's Like To Be An Up and Coming Rapper

What It's Like To Be An Up And Coming Rapper

Nothing comes easy.

111
https://www.instagram.com/fgm_platinum/

Hip Hop is arguably the biggest genre of music today. With artists like Eminem, 2pac, and Kendrick Lamar, the genre has defined modern culture and has cemented a legacy that will last long after they're gone. Over the past few years, there has been a wave of new artists emerging in the game, thanks to a music sharing app known as 'SoundCloud'. While artists like Post Malone have managed to stay relevant and release amazing music, many have fallen off after they showed they couldn't handle a solo album. With so much new music circulating every day, I wanted to know what it's like to be fighting for a spot.

I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to interview Platinum, who is a rapper out of New Orleans. He's been releasing music for well over a year now and has slowed but surely gained a following. I recently was fortunate enough to interview Platinum for another Odyssey article, but I wanted to pick his brain a little on what it was like to be in the rap game, and fortunately for me, he was all for it!

1. What made you get into rap music?

Platinum: All I ever listened to was rap music. Growing up listening to Lil Wayne, I related to the music. Honestly, rap music makes you feel a way that no other music does.

2. What moment(s) has defined your career so far?

Platinum: One of my biggest moments was when Lil Wayne was on the phone with my homies and he told them that he listened to my music and he fucked with it. Also, getting a feature on YoungMoneyHQ was huge for me, I've been dreaming about getting on that site since I was 12.

3. Since you have a mixtape called "Tha Influence", I wanted to know who were/are your biggest influences in music?

Platinum: Lil Wayne, Flow (Young Money Artist and friend), Migos, Future, Kevin Gates, Chris Brown, Rihanna. Also, Kendrick Lamar's been huge too. 'Good Kid, M.A.A.D City' is a great tape.

4. In your opinion, what's the hardest part about being a rapper?

Platinum: Honestly, the music is easy. Life is what makes it hard. People have so many expectations, friends and girls suddenly start giving you all this attention. People will start doing some crazy shit, you gotta be strong-minded if you want to make it.

5. On your song "Lil N*gga", you rap about having a pistol pulled on you and not being able to run. How do experiences like this shape your music?

Platinum: Shit like that becomes your music. Stuff like that made me a harder person, but a more aware person. When you're telling your story on a song, you piece them together like a puzzle to tell your story. It gets crazy sometimes, but it's life.

6. What are your dream collaborations?

Platinum: Obviously Lil Wayne, Kevin Gates, NBA YoungBoy, and Rich The Kid would be amazing too. I listen to all kinds of music, so I have a ton of artists that I would love to collaborate with.

7. What do you want people to know about you and the city you come from?

Platinum: Everything I give you is real, and it's me. I use music as a way of telling my story and talking about things that have shaped me.

8. With all the turmoil in music right now, what would you tell new artists that are just coming up?

Platinum: Rap beef is real, and they have real consequences. You got no business starting shit on Instagram, cause those things will come back around in real life.

It's very rare to have an artist like Platinum, who can produce hype songs as well as lyrically sound songs too. With three mixtapes out and live shows under his belt, I have no doubt that he'll make it to the top of rap music, all he needs is time!