A Few Words On Two Of The Most Underrated Netflix Originals

So you can binge something other than "Stranger Things" for the fourth time.

65

Netflix is huge. Surprise.

Being so big and successful, Netflix has doubled its original content this past year, delivering hits like "House of Cards," "Orange is the New Black" and "Stranger Things," all of which are series I watch and consider to be some of the best television of the past years, perfectly on par with shows like "Game of Thrones" or "Homeland" – not "Breaking Bad," though. That show's unique and perfect.

Netflix's other hits like "Narcos," "Grace and Frankie" and "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" are also fantastic, and prove that the company is really aiming to get as many fans as possible, with content in every genre that also happens to be good. That's the most important part, the quality of these shows, and Netflix are really hitting it out of the park. I could just make a list of how every show they produce is amazing, but instead I want to shine a light in a couple of shows that have gone slightly underappreciated.

With Netflix's Marvel series and its high profile heavy-hitters, it's easy to miss some of its content as "filler," or as something they just bought from another chain and put their logo on – like "Peaky Blinders" or "Black Mirror." But no, I wanna talk about two different shows, both comedies, and both practically unknown to the general public.

The first of these shows is a sitcom called "The Ranch," starring Sam Elliott and Ashton Kutcher. First of all I have to say that, yes, every single comedic character Kutcher plays is essentially a slightly smarter version of Kelso from "That 70's Show," so be prepared for that. Basically, Kutcher plays a failed football player who comes back home to his family's ranch, and to his incredibly stubborn and insensitive father.

What really impresses me about this show is the big names it has in front of it, but nobody seems to watch it. I think that the writing is extremely effective; great jokes, characterization and interactions between characters. "The Ranch" made me laugh harder than any other sitcom I've seen on TV the last couple years. But what really sells the show for me is the drama that often times entangles these characters, because it's not only extremely heartfelt, but it's the best performance Ashton Kutcher has given in his entire career.

These moments of drama give the characters such unique depth and personality, and make a rather predictable premise very good unpredictability. As I just said, the performances all around are excellent, and the themes of abandonment, failure, family and relationships are very cleverly disguised with the TV-MA rated jokes that land oh so well with me. I think this is a comedy that is very easy to enjoy for anyone, and one that not enough people have checked out. The critics have very mixed opinions about the show, but I have to say that I completely disagree, and this show is a very easy 8/10.

The other show I wanna talk about is also a comedy with some drama hidden underneath, but it's a vastly different comedy. This one is simply called "Love," produced by Judd Apatow. Aside from the series title and a very annoying filler episode in the middle of its first season, I thought this show was absolutely incredible, and criminally ignored by the Emmys.

The show is about two individuals in LA, who discover how love can be great and horrible, sometimes at the same time. With their completely different personalities and senses of humor, the show is very unpredictable and features more than one plot twist, while also giving very smart and powerful commentary on relationships, social life and modern-day love.

The reason why I can't recommend this to every is that it's Judd Apatow, and he's not for everyone. Although this show doesn't come close to being as vulgar or explicit as "Knocked Up" or "The 40-Year-Old Virgin," its humor is still very crude and may make some people feel uncomfortable. Nevertheless, if you like comedies like "Silicon Valley," you'll probably like this show very much. I know I do, with its excellent writing, plotting and performances. An easy 9/10

So those are two comedies that I think you should check out. I may write another one of these articles if I feel there are some underwatched shows that deserve attention. Meanwhile, binge on.

Peace.