Read This If You're On The Fence About Watching Gilmore girls: A Year In The Life

No Spoilers!

12
Hello Giggles

You waited for it. I waited for it. Practically the whole world waited for it. And it finally happened: fans of Gilmore girls everywhere rejoiced to know the final four words of the series. After much speculation and chatter, some of those unanswered questions were revisited in the revival, Gilmore girls: A Year in the Life.

I personally spent my Friday, November 25 on the couch in front of the screen. I laughed. I cried. I felt like I was back in Stars Hollow. I watched the whole six hour series over the course of the day, and catching up with the characters felt like I was catching up with old friends. Here's my take on the show (with no spoilers!).

That was the strength of the revival: It felt like Gilmore girls again. The fast-paced dialogue coupled with abounding pop culture references still had the same zing. The heart of the show was still in Lorelai and Rory and their relationship with each other, Emily and the residents of Stars Hollow.

The show also played a beautiful tribute to Richard Gilmore, as the original actor of the character has passed. It was not overdone, but his presence was strongly felt throughout the revival.

Figuring out who ended up with whom and how the town has fared over all the years was so exciting. However, this is where the show started to falter. For some characters, like Paris and Lane, things seemed so perfect. They ended up living a life that felt true to who they were over the course of the original show.

However, for some characters, most notably Sookie, I wanted more. I didn't feel satisfied with the answers that I was given for them.

There were also some scenes that felt bizarre. The Life and Death Brigade sequence is the best example of this. While it seems more modern and 2016, it somehow didn't seem to fit into the Gilmore girls world that I so love. Many of the modern updates, like Rory having three cell phones, felt right, but the way this scene was carried out didn't feel like the rest of the show. There was something off about it.

Watching the revival was such an exciting experience, and I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't had the chance to see it. If you enjoyed Gilmore girls, I would say the revival is worth the watch. It isn't perfect, and it doesn't answer every question, but brings our beloved Stars Hollow back to life one more time.