A Feminist's Case For Sororities

A Feminist's Case For Sororities

Women supporting other women is a beautiful needed

85
A Feminist's Case For Sororities
Iowa State Daily

I’m a feminist. And a proud sorority woman.

I am not your typical ‘sorority stereotype’. I wasn’t a cheerleader in high school, I didn’t get all the guys, or wear designer clothes, or had all that much popularity. The great thing about college is that literally no one cares about any of that. I went through formal rush went I got to college out of pure curiosity. I had seen “Legally Blonde” and other movies that attempt to define Greek life, but I was curious to know how accurate these films were. I wanted to know the truth about sorority women. So I went through formal rush and found a house I love.

When I tell people I’m in a sorority, the first thing they usually say is: “Wow, you do NOT seem like the ‘sorority type’!” I faux-naively ask them ‘whatever do you mean?’ to send the message: to Stop. Stereotyping. Us. We’re not all the same. We’re unique individuals. Some people see sororities as non-feminist or even anti-feminist, as if we’re just the people who wear fraternity’s men’s pins or become fraternity sweethearts. But I disagree. Here’s a Feminist’s Case for Sororities.

Sororities promote women.

This may sound obvious, but think about it. A sorority is a group of women who support other women. Many sororities promote women’s issues through their philanthropy. My sorority even had a meeting on women’s health issues and why it’s important to see a gynecologist for reproductive health. My sisters support each other’s passions and careers, and it’s a beautiful thing. It’s strong Women supporting strong women.

Sororities given women opportunities for leadership.

You know who’s the president of a sorority? A women. Again, that may be a “Well Duh!” statement, but chapter leadership positions give women the strength and experience to go after what they want in the ‘real world’ after graduation. Positions that they can add to their resumes. Leadership opportunities give women the support to have authority, to take charge without giving a flying orange peel about being called “bossy” or certain expletives when they take charge the same way a man would be able to without ridicule.

Sororities can help combat the assumption that women are “catty”.

My chapter is a group of women who love and support each other no matter if our opinions or backgrounds differ. Our differences come second to our support of our sisters. Yes, sometimes we have arguments among members, but name one group of people who gets along perfectly all the time. That's right, I hear crickets. I know that I can go my sisters with any problem or situation I’m in and they will listen without judgement and without spreading it around if the matter is private. I can trust my sorority sisters with anything.

Sororities help women academically.

My chapter has tons of study nights so that we can all work together to keep up our GPAs to chapter, national, and school standards. We’ve come along ways in terms of the amount of women that have the opportunity to go to college, but women’s education is still an issue in our world today, especially globally.

Sororities give women a space where they won’t be judged or assumed to be hormonal when they have any problem or show any negative emotion.

My chapter gives me an outlet to talk about issues I’m dealing with without being assumed to be on my period. If I’m upset or struggling, I can go to a sister, who will listen and often times relate to what I’m dealing with.

I’m a proud feminist sorority woman. I love my vibrant sisterhood.