Feminism and Greek life

Yes, I'm A Feminist AND A Sorority Girl

Being a feminist is about doing what makes you happy.

176
Yes, I'm A Feminist AND A Sorority Girl
Zoya Barker

For a long time, I felt really guilty about being interested in Greek Life. The entire idea of masses of women judging each other really rubbed me the wrong way. I thought that what house you ended up in only had to do with superficial characteristics and that participating in Greek life was the most backward, sexist thing I could possibly do. Months later, here I am telling you that being in a sorority is the most rewarding and empowering decision I've ever made.

From the outside, it appears that being in a sorority is all glitter face paint and not-so-candid candid photos. In reality, being in a sorority means dedicating your time to others. Philanthropy is a major part of all Greek life, and it is truly incredible what a group of college-aged women can achieve. There is something just really special and crazy about a group of women putting their power together to impact the world around them. What many people do not realize is how much time and effort goes into philanthropy and service. Through hosting events and asking for donations throughout the year, these women raise thousands of dollars for a variety of organizations and needs.

It is because of my sorority that I am constantly pushed to be the best version of myself.

Wearing letters is not just a status symbol. Those letters constantly hold you accountable. They remind you that your actions impact more than just you and that your actions always have consequences.

But beyond the letters, it is the people that make me better. I am continuously encouraged to try new things whether that be to join a club or take on a leadership role. If and when I fail, they are there to help me learn from my mistakes and encourage me to try again.

No, we don't all have the same political beliefs. We haven't come from the same lives. We don't dress alike, or have the same majors. What we do have is unconditional respect for each other. Rather than being urged to ignore these differences, we are encouraged to celebrate our individuality.

Our differences may sometimes push me out of my comfort zone, but that isn't a bad thing. When I'm uncomfortable I am learning and therefore growing. By listening and understanding different walks of life I am pushed to become a more well rounded and accepting person.

Beyond all of the mushy feelings, being in a sorority is just plain FUN. It is always my outlet. I can always count on a sister to brighten my day and to get a laugh out of me. Even on my worst days, they make me want to smile. I can't help but find happiness in their presence.

I honestly never saw my self as the typical sorority girl. And really I'm not because there is no one way to be a sorority girl. I am not making my feminist ancestors roll over in their graves by being in a sorority. In fact, I think they would be proud. Sororities all over the nation were established by women for women. Since the 1800s women have found the courage to come together and empower each other through undying support and service.

If that doesn't scream feminist, I don't know what does.