Feminists Are Moms

You Can Stay At Home — And Totally Still Stay A Feminist

Because being a feminist and being a Stay-At-Home Mom are not exclusive.

293

I've been noticing that there are a lot of people who feel like feminism is making it so that women can no longer be the traditional stay at home mom. While feminism obviously encourages women to break from that norm because it for so long was the only role available to women, I'm here to remind everyone that it is not telling women that they cannot be stay-at-home moms.

You can be a feminist and want to be a stay-at-home mom.

The most basic definition of feminism (not trying to get into the various kinds at this point in time) is "the advocacy of women's rights on the basis of the equality of the sexes." A big part of this is women's liberation and thus feminism has made it a point to let women know they are not bound to their homes and to create a space for women out there in the world in careers, leadership positions, etc. Feminism simply wants all opportunities to be available for women but it doesn't mean you have to step up to that if you don't want to.

To those who feel that feminism is attacking their desire to be a home-maker, we support you.

If your family is blessed enough to be able to do well on a single salary and you want to focus on being a mom, power to you! It's hard to let someone else raise your kids and I can understand why you would want to be there to raise them yourself. My mom didn't go back to work until I was 10 and I loved having her around. And if you ever do decide you want to make your way back into the workforce we support you in that too! There is no reason that this should be a point that divides women.

You are entitled to make that decision for yourself.

Just remember, not everyone is in your shoes. Some people feel that we no longer need feminism because we "already have equality" (even though let's be real the wage gap still exists and there's still plenty of other issues out there for women in the world) and that we should "stop protesting, fighting, etc." partly because it hurts the stay-at-home mom. To you, I would say this. Again, you can lead your life the way you choose.

However, not everyone can or wants to be a stay-at-home mom and feminism is still needed. There are single-moms struggling to support their children. These women need better assistance with child-care and more. They need feminism. Women in some other countries are not even be ALLOWED to do most work but want to. They need feminism. Proven rapists still only get 6 months in jail while people go away for years on drug charges. This is why feminists still fight.

There are a lot more reasons we need feminism but whether or not you choose to be one, let's just make an agreement here.

We won't tell you not to be a stay-at-home mom or shame you for that. In return don't tell us to stop fighting for equality because even though things may be alright for you it doesn't mean they are for everyone and it doesn't mean there isn't work left to do. You're always welcome to join us. Again, you can be a feminist and a stay-at-home mom.