I Fell In Love Over The Summer

I Fell In Love Over The Summer

I found love this past summer.

181
I Fell In Love Over The Summer
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/03/14/636566597403632021-915918688_Croton%20Sunset.jpg

I fell in love this past August… No, not with a person, but with a hobby.

In August 2017, I purchased my first DSLR (digital single-lens reflex camera) and discovered my love for the art of photography.

Photography has always been an interest of mine. I began with point and shoot basic cameras and a reasonable priced GOPRO Silver 3+, but could never afford a real DSLR camera.

In August my friend James (Instagram: domore.jm) was selling his Canon T5i DSLR Camera, and while I still couldn’t fully afford the camera, he allowed me to pay him in increments. This gave me the opportunity I needed to take my interest in photography to the next level.

In October, after only 2½ months of practice, this photograph was featured on News 12.

Waking up on October 22, 2017 to my phone filled with notifications telling me that my picture had won, was a feeling I’ll keep forever. A simple recognition for my photography from a news station put me on top of the world that day.

Photography has changed my life in more ways than one. Any photographer will know what I mean when I say I look at the world like I’m looking through lens. I’m always capturing images in my mind. Thinking how that building over there would look in that lighting at a certain angle. Thinking how that girl or guy standing over there so nonchalant would be the perfect candid subject of a photograph. Thinking how that landscape in the distance would be the perfect picture if I was standing in a specific spot to capture it. Thinking about how to capture the beauty in the world around us, even in the darkest of places.

Camera in hand, looking through the lens, ready to capture a moment in time. That’s when I’m happiest. But what makes me even happier is when I capture an image and someone falls in love with it. Knowing someone loved a picture I took, now that’s like winning the lottery.

I’m in no way a professional photographer, nor am I looking to be. I love photography for myself. I love the feeling I get when I’m taking a picture and I love the sense of adventure I get from wanting to capture the world around me. Would I love to do something with photography? Of course! Will I be disappointed if I don’t? No… I love photography, but I’m afraid if it becomes my job, I won’t love it the same and that’s the one thing I don’t want. I don’t want to fall out of love with photography simply because I tried to make money off of it.

Photography isn’t just a hobby, it’s an escape. When I’m feeling sad or down, I’ll grab my camera, take a drive, capture some beautiful images, and leave feeling better than when I arrived. How can you leave a place like this (^) feeling sad? It’s impossible.

While I love to take pictures of landscapes, I’ve also found a love in taking portraits. Since the winter has been so cold and prevented me from exploring much, I began researching backdrops, lighting, and flashes for portrait photography. After investing in some equipment, I found I LOVED taking portraits because my friends and dogs have so much fun together when we do so. Which is another reason I love photography, it’s something I can do by myself or with my friends.

If someone had to guess what my most prized possession was, they would hands down, without a doubt, say my camera. I treat that camera like it’s my baby and everyone around me knows it. I fell in love with photography and one day I hope to capture an image that will change the world somehow. As a friend once said, “life is the subject. Focus on what’s important and you’ll capture it perfectly!”