Why Was Felicity Huffman's Jail Sentence So Short? White, Female Privilege
Currently

Felicity Huffman Won’t Even Serve Her Full Slap-On-The-Wrist Sentence, And It Reeks Of White, Female Privilege

And as a white female, I am absolutely appalled.

944

So, unless you've been living under a rock, you've probably heard about the college admissions scandal in which Felicity Huffman and other wealthy parents bribed prestigious universities and colleges to increase their children's chances of admission.

Well, TMZ is reporting that Huffman will only serve 13 days out of her original slap-on-the-wrist 14-day jail sentence. This is white, female, affluent privilege at its finest, and as a white female, I am appalled.

This woman clearly broke the law and was given nothing more than a slap on the wrist: a $30,000 fine with 250 hours of community service. I know that I might sound heartless here, but when a woman of color is ordered to pay $30,000 in tuition payments and indicted on felony charges for "stealing" a better K-12 education for her two daughters, it's safe to say that the system is clearly flawed and reeks of white, female, affluent privilege.

(Yes, it's the same dollar amount, but $30,000 to Huffman is probably pocket change, whereas $30,000 to Kelly Williams-Bolar is probably a much more significant sum.)

It's honestly so sickening when people with money think that they are above the law, or that their case is a special circumstance. We are all citizens of this country, and no person, regardless of income level, is above the law. When a member of a marginalized group in society commits a crime that isn't even to Huffman's level, they figuratively get the book thrown at them. But because of her celebrity status and affluent socioeconomic status, Huffman got a slap on the wrist. This is simply white, female privilege at its finest, and this kind of special treatment that those with privilege in society receive has to come to an end.

No citizen of this country is better than any other citizen. Nobody is above the law.