Feelings “Manchester By The Sea” Natives Know To Be True

It’s a small community, but it’s your home.

6
Emily Jaworski

To me, my hometown has always been a quaint little 7 mile expanse through the Northshore surrounded by nothing but beautiful beaches and of course, a cute small town charm. It has always been a proud piece of who I am, even if people from Massachusetts have never heard of it, it is my childhood and thus far, my entire life. With that, I have developed a deep appreciation for all that my small town embodies and encompasses. One thing though, is that I have had to learn to share it, as not everyone has such a luxury of being able to live on the coast. Here is a list of a few things I have learned about being a true native and about being a sharer.

1. You never refer to Manchester by “Manchester By The Sea.”

When meeting someone knew and they inquire where you are from, the answer is never the full answer. They probably know it better by the longer version, but it’s easier and sounds less pretentious if you just keep it short.

2. “Oh, I’m from Manchester too!”

No, not the large city in New Hampshire. Even when it’s mentioned that you’re talking about Manchester, MA, people still seem to think of the first and definitely more well-known Manchester in New England. Which leads me to the next point.

3. Just giving up and saying you’re from Gloucester.

The town over is way more well-known in general, for its beaches, markets, boulevard, festivals, bazaars, everything. I feel less guilty saying it because I work there and end up spending a lot of my time in Gloucester anyway, and the success rate of people being familiar with Gloucester is way higher than Manchester.

4. Claiming Singing Beach as your home in the summertime.

If there is one thing every Manchester citizen loves, it’s Singing Beach. The beach is known for the rhythmic noise the sand makes as you step your feet in it and begin walking.

5. You don’t actually go to the beach when it would be traditionally more popular to avoid tourists.

Anytime that’s not 9am-2pm is a good time. Especially weekdays, aim for weekdays.

6. There are plenty of other beaches to enjoy if Singing is too mainstream that day.

There’s the classic Tuck’s Point with it’s signature rotunda that you can jump off of during high tide, White and Black Beach, and a few others I may keep classified.

7. Fishing and Clamming are just some of the activities the county is known for.

With great access to the ocean and harbors comes great responsibility to catch some fish. Boating is the desired pastime in the summer.

8. You are extremely excited that a movie was filmed here and will be legitimately called, “Manchester By The Sea.”

In this case, say the whole town’s name proudly. Because we have a movie with Casey Affleck and it actually looks pretty good. In fact, two movies have been filmed in the last one to two years in Manchester, who starring Casey Affleck and the other starring Jennifer Lawrence.

9. You can’t believe how strong all the character’s accents are in “Manchester By The Sea” since not many people have a Boston accent in this part of town.

It’s not really accurate, but we’ll take it.

10. You get random feelings of gratefulness that you live in such a scenic, beautiful little area.

People come here for vacation so just to think that you get to live here is astonishing and heart-warming.

11. When it’s hot, ice cream and the beach are two of the most convenient things in town.

People flock to Captain Dusty’s to cool off with all different forms of cooling, refreshing treats.

12. You could easily spend a night in the city as Boston is one train ride away.

Not feeling the whole small beach town vibe and are ready for live entertainment, food, and city life? Hop on the train in downtown Manchester and you’ll be in North Station within the hour.

13. FALL. IS. AMAZING.

The fall season in Manchester is like no other. It is the traditional New England fall setting. All the leaves on the trees turn orange, red, and yellow, it’s the perfect kind of fall sweater weather, and there are plenty of places near by to pick apples, visit pumpkin patches, and explore corn mazes. It’s unreal. Even people who favor summer cannot get enough of fall. There is Russell Orchards, The Topsfield Fair, and plenty of other fall events and activities to participate in.

14.You get a huge sense of satisfaction when you get to describe your town.

It’s a small community, but it’s your home. Even if it’s no where familiar that someone else knows, it’s all you have ever known as Manchester is just the kind of small town that makes you fall in love with life on the shore. It offers so much appreciation for your family, your environment, and the unique charm that you can’t get elsewhere.