Feeling Lost As A First-Year

Feeling Lost As A First-Year

It's OK to be unsure.

5
Feeling Lost As A First-Year
nationalreview.com

As we near the middle of our first term, many of us are filled with stress. We have midterms, papers and projects due, we're worried about our grades (even if we know we're doing perfectly fine), and if you're like me, you're having some doubts.

My head is filled with questions. Did I choose the right school? Am I in the right major? Will I be able to be successful in college? Should I have stayed closer to home? Should I have gone farther? Is this really where I belong? There are a million things running through my mind throughout most of the day and the moment my mind is clear, I'm stressing because I'm not stressed about anything.

And maybe some of you aren't feeling any of this. Maybe you're extremely happy and are fitting in perfectly. Maybe you're making a ton of friends and don't even notice that a big portion of your life has changed. If that's you, that's great. I am truly happy for you. Keep doing what you're doing. Keeping striving toward your future. You have what the rest of us are hoping to eventually achieve.

But if you're like me, restless and stressed, just breathe. Close your eyes, take a deep breathe, relax. What you are feeling is perfectly normal. It's OK to be worried about the rest of your life. You want to be sure you're making the right choices for your future, and that's a good thing.

I want to remind you that you ended up where you are for a reason. You didn't reach into a hat and pick a college or university that you had to attend. You put time and research into your decision. This was a school you fell in love with. This is where you wanted to be above anywhere else.

As for what you're studying, it should be something that you love. Classes should feel like an adventure, not a chore. Of course not every class is going to be sunshine and rainbows, but as a whole you should feel excited about your major. And if you're not, your freshman year is the perfect time to explore. Take classes in areas you think might interest you. It's OK to change your major. Your college experience should be just that: Yours. Figure out what makes you happy and run with it.

College is perhaps the most influential time of your life. It's a lot to handle at such a young age. It's a lot to stress about. At the end of the day, remember what brought you here and why you want to make it out the other end.

Most importantly, know that college is a place to learn. It's a place to gain experience and knowledge, and build yourself as a person. It does not determine your career. It does not dictate your life. You build your own future.