5 Common Fears About Studying Abroad (And Why They Shouldn't Hold You Back)

One of the most exciting things about being in college is having the opportunity to try new things and get out of your comfort zone.

404
HCC Study Abroad

One of the most exciting things about being in college is having the opportunity to try new things and get out of your comfort zone. For some, this could be something as small as learning to cook real food, while for others it could be the ability to go live and study in another country. For me, studying abroad is something I've looked forward to since I was a freshman in high school. Traveling to new places and experiencing unique cultures and ways of life is so exciting for me. But at the same time, studying abroad can be terrifying and many people miss out on an amazing opportunity because they're scared of the change.

1. Being Away From Family and Friends

For most people, going to college is already dramatic because they have to leave their family and friends and start all over in a new, unfamiliar place. Studying abroad takes this change and makes it about 10 times more intense! When you're in a different country, not only are you away from your main support system, you are also operating in a completely different time zone and lose the option to go home for a weekend when you're feeling homesick.

2. The Culture

Each country has its own unique customs and habits, and as foreigners it can take a while for us to pick up on even the most basic things. As a result, communicating with natives can be more stilted and difficult than we are comfortable with.

3. Everything Is Different

Studying abroad requires living in a completely new place with people you don't know and being surrounded by things you've never heard of before. Not only do you have to get accustomed to the location and learn how to get around the city, you also have to become familiar with basic social practices and pick up on references.

4. Not Knowing Where To Eat

Food is one of the most important things to college students and we love knowing exactly where to go when we're craving a certain thing. Being in a new place takes away all of our knowledge on even the most basic things and requires us to relearn everything. We won't recognize most of the restaurant chains near us and the first month or so will require a lot of experimenting before we figure out what we like and don't like.

5. Being Broke

Being a broke college student is a real struggle that I know all too well. Studying abroad can get expensive in terms of housing, tuition, airfare, and living, and most people don't want to spend extra money. However, most colleges have great study abroad programs that cover a lot of the costs of the program and the benefits ultimately outweigh the costs.

I will be studying abroad in the Fall and while I'm terrified of the same things everyone else is, I could not be more excited. Studying abroad is a special experience that not many people get to enjoy and it provides you with many unique opportunities. Just like everything else in life, if something is both terrifying and amazing then you should go for it!