How I Overcome My Fear Of Missing Out

How I Overcome My Fear Of Missing Out

How to handle life when you have major FOMO.

188
How I Overcome My Fear Of Missing Out

Four small words that have impacted my life so much. Up until this summer, I had been living my life with this incredible fear that I would miss out on something important, something exciting, something I would look back on years from now. I let it control me. I remember as the seasons would change I would get depressed if I hadn't completed all of the things on my list of seasonal activities. I was so worried about what tomorrow would bring, and I was always assuming the worst. I was so concerned with finding a way to fill every single minute of every day interacting with people and doing something meaningful, that I forget to take a step back and give myself some alone time to think. Along with not having time to think, I was avoiding talking to God. I knew there were some things in my life that I was unsure about the outcome, but I chose to ignore what He had to say about it. Instead, I just tried to occupy my time with things to do so I wouldn't have to think, I wouldn't have to talk to Him, I wouldn't have time to worry.

This spring, I finally opened my eyes and saw that I was wasting my life away worrying about all of the things I needed to do so I wouldn't be "missing out," when in fact I was missing out because I wasn't paying attention to what was right in front of me. I was missing out on all of the wonderful opportunities right in front of me because I was too concerned with what cool thing I would do the next day. Finally, I started making a lot of time for me to think and talk to God, and it was then that I really felt comforted and knew that I wasn't missing out on anything; I was right where I needed to be, I just needed to open my eyes. I needed to quit living my life in fear of missing out, and learn to be okay with being alone some of the time. I also realized that social media was half of the problem. I would get on as though my life depended on it, and then I would get jealous because I would see what others were doing and compare it to all the "fun" I was having. I just needed to limit how much I looked at it, slow down and spend time seeing the things around me that truly mattered.

I just need to remember to let God lead my path each day, and live each day at a time. I don't need to worry or assume what will come tomorrow. I just need to trust that he knows what I need each day, and that he will provide. I'm not going to miss out on anything, and if I do, it wasn't meant to be.