5 Essential Songs From Ashton Irwin's Album 'Superbloom'

Don't worry, this isn't the end of 5 Seconds of Summer.

72

Ashton Irwin has recently released his first solo album, and it does not disappoint. His songs has influences of 90's alternative rock, and while I don't listen to that genre, I love his music. The songs on this album are vulnerable, and he shares his story through each song.

1. "Scar"

The opening song of the track "Scar" sets the tone for just how personal and deep the other songs are going to be. Ashton has been vocal about his past self-harm, and this track can be interpreted in ways other than just the face value depending on the fan. For me, I took it to mean that no matter how many times life can beat us down, we can always push through the difficulties. It won't be easy, but with time, it can be done. His vocals, the harmonies with the background vocals, and the instrumentals of this song just come together so well.

2. "Skinny Skinny"

"Skinny Skinny" is the first single Ashton released when promoting his new album, and it holds such a powerful message. Body dysmorphia can happen to anyone. If you have it, you can find it hard to believe others when they give you compliments because there's always this voice in the back of your head that tells you the complete opposite of their words. The music video acts as such a powerful visual representation, and it is another song that is such a personal story of Ashton's battle with eating disorder.

3. "Greyhound"

"Greyhound" is a metaphorical song regarding the constant cycle of life. It discusses how we work ourselves to death without actually receiving any meaningful reward at the end of it all. We push ourselves to achieve our goals, and at times, we fail to take care of ourselves. In this society, if we don't "succeed," then we haven't done much with our life. This song is extremely important to me because there are times where I don't take a break from my work because I have these goals set for myself, and I know that I must keep going forward with my work to reach them. The instrumentals of this song, especially during the chorus, are excellent just like the other songs thus far on the album.

4. "Matter of Time (Interlude)"

"Matter of Time (Interlude)" has softer instrumentals, and Ashton's vocals in this interlude are just soft enough to lead to the next section of the album. Once again, the production of the song and the layering of the vocals give a sense of hope that the painful things we're going through right now won't last forever. We will heal over time. It is such a comforting song to listen to if you're ever feeling down.

5. "Drive"

This song highlights the importance of just being there for someone when they're grieving. Even if you may not have the right words to say, just being there will help so much. This song was specifically written in honor of Ashton's girlfriend's father who passed away. The instrumentals of this song make this a good song to listen to when you're on a road trip, and lyrically, it reminds us that life has more good things to offer rather than just the pain we may be going through. Once again, Ashton's vocals are just so good. He's able to hit such high notes that sound so good combined with the drums and guitar riffs.

Ashton is more than just the drummer from 5 Seconds of Summer, and he's able to create his own sound that is different than what the band usually releases. I didn't expect his album to be of this genre, but it is so well put together and he openly shares his own struggles through each and every song. His live concert performances for the songs highlight just how great of a performer he is, and on his Instagram page, he shares the process of being in the studio producing the album.