The Irresponsibility Of Fast Fashion

In a world of fast fashion, micro-seasons, and magazines that equate trendiness with happiness and success, the pressure to always be "in style" is overwhelming. But what does it mean to be "in style"? And why is that supposed to be our goal in life?

I believe that aesthetic beauty is valuable. Especially as a Christian, I believe that God created both beauty and our capacity to appreciate it. However, Christians are also told not to be overly invested in their appearances (1 Peter 3:3).

I buy new clothes sometimes, but I also buy used clothes from thrift stores and Goodwill. And I definitely like buying clothes that look good on me and make me feel confident, but comfort and quality are my primary concerns when buying clothes. If I don't like how something fits or if it seems to be of low quality, even if it is the height of fashion, I don't buy it.

Though I am not immune to impulse purchases, I usually only buy clothes when I need them. Even then, I wait until I find exactly what I am looking for or until what I need is on sale. I don't buy four different things that sort of but not entirely fulfill my need – I buy one that fills that need as perfectly as possible. My clothing needs can either be caused by something wearing out or by not having adequate clothes for an activity (like working out, climbing, etc.). My need does not correlate with "needing to fit in."

I am not above buying clothes that are trendy. I liked the cold shoulder look that was popular in 2017 and part of 2018. But the two or three items that I had and liked in that style were either worn out, or I still wear them consistently. If I don't like a certain trend, I simply don't buy it.

Additionally, if something feels like it will fall apart after about 10 wears, I don't buy that either. Usually, the thickness of the fabric is a good indicator of how well a garment is made.

As a recent graduate, I like to save money, and not buying excess or cheap clothing is one way that I can save my hard-earned money. Fast fashion is irresponsible both fiscally and in terms of waste. Clothes that wear out quickly because they are cheaply made are wasteful and are quickly thrown out, causing unnecessary waste. Quality clothing that lasts for a long time is a better use of money and our resources.

From Your Site Articles