Poetry On Odyssey: Falling Isn't Needed

Poetry On Odyssey: Falling Isn't Needed

As we continue to fall, we start to realize that we don't have too.

14

"It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are."

~E.E. Cummings~

Life is long (hopefully) and we learn a new lesson every day. I have been stubborn forever and I absolutely despise asking for help even when I know there is absolutely no other option.

Every day, every minute, every second we get older.

We grow further away from our mother's womb

And we grow closer to the grave

But, that's not even the scary part.

At the start, we are told that we are the best at everything

We have the confidence of a male peacock showing off his tail feathers

We know everything there is, was, and ever will be to know.

Then, like the roads of Appalachia, we are turned at a one-eighty with a steep drop

We start slipping away from everything we ever knew

Our support system is standing, offering to catch us

Yet we reject the idea and continue to fall deeper.

As we continue to fall, we start to realize that we don't have to

This was all for naught

We quickly realize that the water is shallow, and we just need to stand up.

Then the embarrassment of being a stubborn child soon sets in

All the pain you've had and caused was pointless

The falling wasn't needed after all.

Growing up is falling in the truest meaning of the word. Life is full of rises and falls, but in the end, it's never the rise that we remember, it's always the fall. Part of this fall is realizing that you are not alone. There is always someone there at your side, you just need to turn and look at them. The other part of the fall is knowing when it's time to ask for help, which is probably around the time where its hard to function.