Falling in Love with Your Major

Falling in Love with Your Major

"The world won’t stop spinning if you haven't chosen your future career path"

41
Falling in Love with Your Major
Google Images

When deciding on a college, one of the most important factors should be the major that incoming students will be pursuing. However, there is an insane amount of pressure to decide what you want to do with your entire life when you are an 18 year-old who just graduated high school.

Some students have known what they wanted to do years before coming to college. For example, alumni Jacqueline Paris, who pursued an Integrated Social Studies and History major with a minor in Sport Management. She says, “After my field experience I fell in love with teaching. Before, I was a little skeptical if I was cut out for it and if I would even enjoy it. But I’ve wanted to be a teacher since the first grade.”

Lyssa Wright, junior, knew she wanted to study dietetics since the beginning of her senior year in high school. “I was really interested in the connection between what we consume and how it affects our bodies. But I didn't always want to be a dietitian. For a while I wanted to be a pediatric doctor, but then I decided that wasn't what I wanted to do with my life,” she says.

However, this is not always the case. For some students, it is a case of trial and error or choosing a major and then changing it when they discovered what classes and the real-world jobs were like.

Have no idea what to study? Don’t panic

It is not uncommon for students to come to college “undecided” or to question whether or not they chose the right major. Some respond with action by switching and changing their major or minor countless times throughout their college careers in a tiresome search for the perfect fit.

Heidi Jones, academic advisor, says, “It’s very very common for students to change their major. In fact, we expect it. We know it’s going to happen. We just hope students do it strategically in terms of getting guidance so that when they’re making those changes, they’re doing so in a way that helps them explore and also keeps them on track towards getting a degree.”

When choosing a major, above all, it is important to pick something that you enjoy doing. Consider your passions, your interests, your values, and your favorite high school classes. Since you will be using this major to earn a degree, which will lead you to your career, why not do something you actually like? Remember the famous phrase, “Do what you love and you will never work a day in your life.”

“The world won’t stop spinning if you haven't made a decision on your major. Ashland does an excellent job of getting students into the field and allowing them to experience different majors and professions,” Bailey Fullwiler, graduated Social Work major, says. “Choose classes that pick your interest or are on topics that you are passionate about. Don't be afraid to ask to shadow professionals in fields of interest and most of all, pick a major that make you happy, not one that will make others happy.”

Loving what you do

One of the first steps of loving your major is to immerse yourself in it. Get involved in related clubs or activities outside of the academics. Being able to engage in events and experiences will allow you to gain a different set of skills you would not necessarily learn within a classroom. Not to mention, it will stand out on a resumé when the time comes to pursue a career in your field.

If you’re a Theatre major, get involved in plays or costume design. If you’re a Journalism and Digital Media major, get involved in field or studio productions, WRDL, or writing for The Collegian. If you’re a Sports Management or Athletic Training major, get an on-campus job at the rec center. If you’re a Fine Arts major, get involved the art shows or URCA in the spring. The key word: get involved. Do more outside of class.

Final advice

“Breathe. Don’t panic,” Heidi Jones says. “The first semester is a time of great transition. Students should acknowledge that this transition is going on and that there may be some bumps along the way. The bumps will only make you grow and help you discover more parts about yourself and the university.”