Falling in Love/Hate with Fall

Falling in Love/Hate with Fall

Pros and Cons on the Long-Awaited Season

25
Falling in Love/Hate with Fall
Wallpaper Cave

It’s finally here!

The season of warm beverages, cozy blankets, and a whole lot of comfort food has arrived at last. Every advertisement now pictures happy families frolicking in leaves in a myriad of colors, and every coffee shop has exponentially increased its imports of all spice and pumpkin related products. You know you are lying if you haven’t used PSL (the official abbreviation for Starbucks’ infamous Pumpkin Spice Latte) at least once since the dawn of the season. In fact, all coffee drinkers seem to partake in an abrupt shift from ice to steam, and every cup now wears a jacket of its own. Dinner tables (or in most of our cases, dining hall tables) now exhibit steaming plates and bowls, and there seems to be more of a surplus of fruits and veggies as we all reach for cookies and pastries over anything of nutritional value. I mean, if we’re going to be wearing sweaters and pants anyways, why not indulge in the tastiest, most calorie-abundant treats?

Speaking of sweaters, our clothes automatically changed when September 22 hit as well. Bye-bye bare shoulders and sandals, and hello boots and all things knit. Socks are taller, jackets are thicker, and any hairstyle that before appeared messy is now praised as stylish when adorned with a scarf or hat. Even further, nothing is more satisfying than being accepted for wearing sweatpants and furry boots to class. Autumn means cozy is the new black, and no one is complaining.

However, is fall really all pumpkin and spice and everything nice?

Step outside in the freezing New England rain and then the answer seems painfully clear. No, fall is not as completely whimsical as it is hyped up to be.

Take this rain, for example. Despite popular belief, rain is not fun, and rain is not romantic. Sure, Noah and Allie look enchanting as they effortlessly run into each others’ arms amidst sparkling rain in The Notebook, but in reality rain makes you cold and soppy and altogether un-kissable. And, yes, puddles can be fun for a couple jumps and splashes, but on the whole they make walking down the sidewalk a sort of minefield.

Going out on the weekends becomes an entire fiasco once fall arrives as well. Somehow one must create an outfit that can both endure what feels like subzero temperatures and survive sweltering indoor parties. A jacket tied around the waist while dancing to “Closer” isn’t exactly my favorite aesthetic. I suppose the plus side of this is the overwhelming coolness of a fall night once you exit the sweaty soirée, but the getting there still manages to conquer your will.

My final verdict about fall would be that this season and I have a love/hate relationship. I love the food, drinks, and snuggly clothes, but I struggle to survive the New England weather. I suppose all I can really do is embrace the lovely perks of fall and hope daily that I don’t succumb to the rain and chill. Perhaps what is more concerning is the fact that winter is lurking on the horizon, but for now I’ll just sip my mocha and soak up some autumn bliss.