Autumn In New England Isn't What You'd Really Expect It To Be

It lasts about a week and them bam, it's already snowing.

28
images.pexels.com

A cool crisp breeze fills the air along with the smell of pumpkins. Leaves falling from every branch, filling the sky full of large brown and orange snowflakes- well that's what you'd expect to see in a movie based in Boston. But in reality, it's nothing like that.

The past few years my favorite season, autumn, has been treated as if it truly doesn't exist. Fall should consist of the perfect weather, cool but not cold. But more importantly, finally not 110% humidity every day. But for the last couple of years it goes from SUMMER to fall to WINTER, like autumn lasts, maybe, a week and then BAM it's snowing, and you then wish it was those 90-degree days that you were whining about not even two months ago.

Nevertheless, Autumn is still my favorite season. My wardrobe begins to expand, sweaters are now socially acceptable to wear again. Wearing jeans, or any other long pants and not dying of the heat is a blessing you forget about after May.

Halloween is also my favorite holiday, the fact that you can dress up in about anything and people are okay with is such an amazing concept. Figuring out what you want to be and figuring out how you're going to execute the costume is half of the fun. The other half is trying act as if you are that person or character at parties of simply walking the streets with your friends.

Autumn is the best, it's the time of the year when hot beverages come back, like a nice hot apple cider, or a cup of hot chocolate while cuddled up in blankets or decorating the house with bats, skeletons and witches, all while watching horror film after horror film, until it's time for bed (and you have to watch something funny so you don't scare yourself to death when you turn off the lights to sleep).

I couldn't ask for anything else, except for the weather to be how it is in the movies. But if the weather is the only thing I complained about, would I be from New England? Probably not.